diy solar

diy solar

Using Inverter Charger While Connected to Shore Power And Disconnected from Battery Bank

gcp

Going nomadic.
Hi there. I've just about completed my first ever solar/power system build out (diagram below) after much studying and learning from folks here. I have a question about using my inverter charger with shore power while disconnected from my battery bank.

Today I had the following conditions:
Camper was connected to shore power (30a), which goes directly into my Renogy 2000W Inverter Charger.
I disconnected the battery using the battery cutoff switch.
Inverter Charger immediately starts beeping, but shows no warning/error code. Just the "Fault" light was lit up. Will not stop beeping.
120AC systems continued to function just fine.

This made me wonder: is it not appropriate to use my inverter charger to power my 120v AC systems when connected to shore power but not connected to my battery bank? Should I have shore power routed to both the inverter charger as well as my AC breaker box?

I didn't see anything in the Renogy Manual about this, or in the Renogy support site. I haven't contacted them about it yet because my experience with them is like everyone else's: not helpful. Don't get me started on Renogy - if I could do it over again, I would not buy anything from them.

I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you!

Power System Wiring Diagram v4.6.001.jpeg

... Why disconnect the batteries?

I'm going to assume that the Renogy inverter charger wants and expects batteries to be connected.

And man, you sure fit 10 pounds of poop in a 5 pound sack! that's a lot of gear!

... Why disconnect the batteries?

I'm going to assume that the Renogy inverter charger wants and expects batteries to be connected.
Fair question. It's certainly not something I'd normally be doing. I wanted to see if it was possible to keep the AC circuits powered while the DC circuit was disabled.
And man, you sure fit 10 pounds of poop in a 5 pound sack! that's a lot of gear!
Hahaha, yeah on paper it sure looks like a lot! It's all pretty discreetly integrated though. The only place where it may seem ostentatious is all the solar panels on the roof.

IMG_1227 2.jpeg

Cool little rig. I just got a Geo Pro 15TB a few weeks ago!

I'm going to say the Renogy inverter charger expects a battery. I would talk to Renogy to verify that... but I'd put money on it.

Reactions: gcp
Cool little rig. I just got a Geo Pro 15TB a few weeks ago!

I'm going to say the Renogy inverter charger expects a battery. I would talk to Renogy to verify that... but I'd put money on it.
Thank you 2x!

Congrats on the new tiny camper! Very similar to my AR-One 14RB! Where will you take it first?

Back