diy solar

diy solar

Using my golf cart as a solar power station

Scott Laylow

Hello, new to the forum. I'm thinking of using our golf cart as a solar power station. I have two 48v Nissan Leaf battery packs from Tech Direct installed in my golf cart. Looking for info on what type of MPPT would work best and if there may be some resources available here from someone else who may have done something similar. Thanks for any help you can provide. Best, SL

Victron Smart-Solar charge controllers are really nice. Their charge controller has a pair of enable/disable contacts that allow your BMS to shut the charge controller down if it misbehaves.

While I would always suggest you not charge past 4 volts for golf cart use, just for battery longevity, you could set the Victron controller to 4.1 and squeeze some extra capacity out of them for the emergency situation..

Victron Smart-Solar charge controllers are really nice. Their charge controller has a pair of enable/disable contacts that allow your BMS to shut the charge controller down if it misbehaves.

While I would always suggest you not charge past 4 volts for golf cart use, just for battery longevity, you could set the Victron controller to 4.1 and squeeze some extra capacity out of them for the emergency situation..
Thank you for the quick reply. Stumbled on this on the forum as well. I suppose for the price this would be a more plug and play option for me since it includes the inverter. Do you know if there are any concerns using this all-in-one to charge the batteries? Sorry for the lame questions here..... Thanks again for your help

PIP 3048LV-MK 48V 3kW 120V Inverter , 4.5kW Solar Charger 80A​

I can't help you with that part... I wouldn't trust a Chinese charger and lithium battery in the same room with each other.

Also, I believe I need to charge at 58.8 volts. Will a 48v Victron battery charger still work?

Victron makes a variety of SCCs. Most do not, so read the specs. I have a 100/30, 100/50 and 75/15, none of which will charge 48 volt batteries, only 12 and 24.

Victron makes a variety of SCCs. Most do not, so read the specs. I have a 100/30, 100/50 and 75/15, none of which will charge 48 volt batteries, only 12 and 24.

Yes, he will need to make sure he gets one of the 150/xx series, and preferably one of the Smart Solar lines.

He wants one of these: (or larger)
Also, I believe I need to charge at 58.8 volts. Will a 48v Victron battery charger still work?
You don't want to charge to 58.8 volts.. you'll kill your battery fast. I believe the Victron maxes out at 57.6 volts, which is still actually too high...

57.5 for a 14S lithium ion battery is about all you want.. that will give you 95% charge.

I don't even let mine go that high, I cut them off at 4.05.

Depends o. Ur budget to. IE Victron has great rep but too pricey for me.

Im curious about ur plan? What do u have in mind? I mean r u thinking to use the current batt storage enclosement? I assume u want to divert the output. Is it DC is s golf cart?

How do u plan to charge? Are u wanting to add solar panels rather than plug in? Would need controllet then BUT Im curious: dont u plug into ac outlet?

Sorry no answers. Interesting project thats very possible. Just gotta know whats currently ac and whats dc.

Depends o. Ur budget to. IE Victron has great rep but too pricey for me.

Im curious about ur plan? What do u have in mind? I mean r u thinking to use the current batt storage enclosement? I assume u want to divert the output. Is it DC is s golf cart?

How do u plan to charge? Are u wanting to add solar panels rather than plug in? Would need controllet then BUT Im curious: dont u plug into ac outlet?

Sorry no answers. Interesting project thats very possible. Just gotta know whats currently ac and whats dc.
Btw sorry about typos. Im not used to tiny phone typing.

Btw sorry about typos. Im not used to tiny phone typing.
Btw reaso I ask if u plug into ac outlet to charge = then ac would already be converted to dc to charge batteries = u wouldnt need a controller... already would have one.

I guess 1st thing is a diagram to understand exactly how a golf cart works.

Back