diy solar

diy solar

Using Power Tool Batteries with Adapters to Recharge Solar Power Stations?

SolarOhio

I have an Epever Tracer 40A charge controller on a 2.4kw 24v lifepo4 portable power station. I’d like to be able to use my 500kwh of 40v cordless mower/chainsaw batteries as backup in case of an emergency. If I use a battery adapter and run it to the solar-ins on my Tracer, will that work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/142968277725

Same question, different application: 20v cordless tool batteries and adapter connected to a 8mm plug to backup charge a Jackery 240. Will that work?

500kWh? You know that's a metric shit-ton, right?

Assuming those 40V packs are 3Ah, are you claiming to have over 4,000 of them?

It would likely work, but you would likely destroy the batteries unless they have their own built-in BMS that will protect them. Count on pulling max rated current with the Tracer and tapping out the batteries pretty quickly. That action itself may kill the batteries as they're probably not intended to dump their entire capacity in 10 minutes or so. If you parallel a bunch of them together to spread out the draw, it would help.

500kWh? You know that's a metric shit-ton, right?

Assuming those 40V packs are 3Ah, are you claiming to have over 4,000 of them?

It would likely work, but you would likely destroy the batteries unless they have their own built-in BMS that will protect them. Count on pulling max rated current with the Tracer and tapping out the batteries pretty quickly. That action itself may kill the batteries as they're probably not intended to dump their entire capacity in 10 minutes or so. If you parallel a bunch of them together to spread out the draw, it would help.
Typo! I meant 500wh — just enough to eek by in a no-sun situation for another half day or so. I assume most power tool batteries do have a basic BMS to prevent over discharge; 40v batteries have an SOC readout as well.

Whew.

It's not a certainty they have BMS, but it's possible. Some just use cells that have a built-in protection circuit where the individual cells will go open circuit when they go outside voltage limits.

Back