Using RV-Solar System to power House?

eXodus

Solar Addict
I'm currently researching to put on my Motorhome
Further I'm interested in putting Solar on my house.

Now on average I use the RV 60-90 days out of the year and when I'm not at home - I don't need lots of power.

So would be a waste to have a nice system on the RV and only use it that little. Further the RV needs a substantial battery bank to run the A/C.
Why not combine everything?

Grid, Grid, Generator-> RV (All in one system(s) + batteries) - > house

Having a large transfer switch, the house runs on grid when I'm not there - and on the RV system when I'm there.
Could also add some solar panels on the roof where the RV is parked - with some quick disconnect to increase the available solar power.

Would also justify going crazy :) and all overboard with the RV system since it would have a return on investment - instead of only being a toy.

JeepDaddy

Solar Addict
You can do that fairly easily with a grid-tie inverter. It may not run your house 100%, but you can use your RV solar to offset your home electricity use. 12 volt grid tie inverters are limited in power. 24 or 48 volt grid tie inverters are more common for higher power applications. grid tie inverters only work when there is grid power so you don't need a transfer switch.

eXodus

Solar Addict
You can do that fairly easily with a grid-tie inverter. It may not run your house 100%, but you can use your RV solar to offset your home electricity use. 12 volt grid tie inverters are limited in power. 24 or 48 volt grid tie inverters are more common for higher power applications. grid tie inverters only work when there is grid power so you don't need a transfer switch.
Yeah, in that case I would build a 48V system in the RV.

The issue is with Grid Tie - permitting. I don't think that a back feed from an RV like this would win the approval of any inspector.
Further, I also would like to use the RV alone, so a pure grid tie inverter wouldn't help me there.

In essence - the RV would plug into an Grid Tied outlet and the House would plug into an Outlet of the RV.
I wouldn't even need a transfer switch - I could do that with heavy duty cables.

Get a 100A Outlet and Inlet installed where the RV hooks up.

The grid would never see any backfeed.

JeepDaddy

Solar Addict
I don't think that a back feed from an RV like this would win the approval of any inspector.
I agree that would not be a good way to do it.

I was thinking along the lines of having the grid-tie inverter AC output tied into your circuit breaker panel of the house and running DC from your MH to the DC side of the inverter. Assuming of course that you park your MH close to your house.

Scott SD

I am trying to do something similar. I am in the process of having 24 panel home system installed which should be done in a month. I also have a travel trailer that will sit about 10’ from my house panel and I want to put about 800w of solar on it next year. There must be a way to connect the trailer solar to the house. The house will have enphase micro inverters and an enphase envoy combiner box. The trailer system design is still in process. No $$, but I like to plan. I just can’t see having 800w on my trailer next to the house and not using it. Maybe have the panels go through a switch to either feed the trailer or go through a micro inverter and tie into the combiner box.

Substrate

Solar Addict
If those trailers are now more or less stationary a large amount of time, and the panels are mounted more or less horizontal, consider some way to tilt or angle them up - keeping a close eye on nearby shadowing from vent-pipes or other rooftop obstructions.

eXodus

Solar Addict
If those trailers are now more or less stationary a large amount of time, and the panels are mounted more or less horizontal, consider some way to tilt or angle them up - keeping a close eye on nearby shadowing from vent-pipes or other rooftop obstructions.
That was my idea too. Plus I can add a 10-20kwh battery in the RV which I need for offgrid Camping - and it could also supply the house in case of an outage.