diy solar

diy solar

Using service entrance rated generator automatic transfer switch for solar?

Kmil

I’m looking at a setup for my new house in which the meter feeds into a service entrance rated 200 amp automatic transfer switch designed for use with a generator but with solar on the other side rather than a generator. The ATS would sit between the inputs and the main panel so this is not a critical loads sub-panel.

My idea was to use it in reverse (put solar on the “utility’ side and utility on the ”generator“ side) where if the solar cuts out for any reason (low voltage, equipment malfunction, etc), it would switch to utility and then switch back to solar when that power feed comes back up.

What issues do you foresee with this? Obviously there is no signal back and forth with a generator to turn on and off since that side is the utility.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Is there a purpose built ATS product for use with solar and utility that is service entrance rated for 200 amps on each input that I should be looking at instead?

I’m looking at a setup for my new house in which the meter feeds into a service entrance rated 200 amp automatic transfer switch designed for use with a generator but with solar on the other side rather than a generator. The ATS would sit between the inputs and the main panel so this is not a critical loads sub-panel.

My idea was to use it in reverse (put solar on the “utility’ side and utility on the ”generator“ side) where if the solar cuts out for any reason (low voltage, equipment malfunction, etc), it would switch to utility and then switch back to solar when that power feed comes back up.

What issues do you foresee with this? Obviously there is no signal back and forth with a generator to turn on and off since that side is the utility.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Is there a purpose built ATS product for use with solar and utility that is service entrance rated for 200 amps on each input that I should be looking at instead?
What you want is an ATS. You're going down the right path. Rather than getting one purpose-built for a specific use case, you may want to consider looking at one that is flexible in configuration and perhaps synchronizes power feeds. I have no immediate suggestions as my inverter has a dual input transfer switch built in. battery|grid|gen and I can configure priorities when multiple inputs are available. Try googling and searching on amazon for automatic transfer switches.

Back