diy solar

diy solar

Using Solar panels with Jackery Power Station

Ender2

Hi everyone, I’m planning to set up a small off grid solar setup in a cabin and I’m looking at pairing 2 Panels: 200 Watt Renogy Solar Panel (12V) + 100 Watt Renogy Solar Panel (12V) with the Jackery Explorer 1000 Pro (new model just released a few months ago.) Wondering if anyone has experience with a similar combination and could help offer some advice on how they may work together. The setup is just used for 2 months during the summer with the panels saying in the off grid location but the Jackery would be brought back to on grid where it can be charged/maintained however is best for it's longevity.

How I am hoping it will work is that I can leave the panels connected during the 2 months, and that they will actively charge it when they are getting power during the day, and then we can use the Jackery outputs etc as normal during the day/night. Mostly would be charging phones/laptops from the USB C ports, and running some LED lights so power usage would normally be pretty low. I saw another post saying that some power stations can’t automatically handle panels connected like this all the time and might require them to be unplugged / replunged to allow the input to accept power again each day, does anyone know if this would be the case with the setup I am thinking about here?

I’m also trying to figure out how to connect everything, I see that the Jackery itself comes with 2x DC7909 to DC8020 adaptors, so I am trying to figure out do I just need to get another adapter to allow it to go from MC4 > DC7909 > DC8020, or is there a more efficient way to connect it with say a MC4 that directly goes to DC8020 on the Jackery? I do also need to use a 30ft extension cable to allow the panels to run from the roof down to where the Jackery will be, so I was looking at this setup:
Renogy Solar Panel MC4 > 30ft 10AWG MC4 extension > 3ft 12AWG MC4 to DC 8mm/DC7909 > Jackery DC7909 to DC8020 Adapter > Jackery Explorer 1000 Pro

I already have one 100 Watt panel + 30ft MC4 extension for it, so I was thinking I would just duplicate the cable setup for each of the panels and connect them separately to the 2x DC8020 ports on the Jackery, with the thought this will help reduce power loss over the distance. Looking for advice if this is too many connections that would impact the power, and if the 10AWG going into 12AWG would be ok for this distance.

I was looking at uses these cables/extensions:
30ft 10AWG MC4 extension
3ft 12AWG MC4 to DC 8mm/DC7909

Appreciate any thoughts,

Hi,

I wish Jackery had opted for a ubiquitous connector like Anderson PowerPoles. The older E1000 came houses APP for solar input. Until we see DC8020 cables/adapters available in various forms, MC4-DC7909-DC8020 is pretty much the best option available.

In terms of solar charging, do both the panels have the same OCV? Mis-matching panels on the newer Jackerys is prohobited. If they are rated the same (except more amps on the 200W panel) be sure to connect in parallel for efficent charging.

Hope this helps!

Techman

Hi everyone, I’m planning to set up a small off grid solar setup in a cabin and I’m looking at pairing 2 Panels: 200 Watt Renogy Solar Panel (12V) + 100 Watt Renogy Solar Panel (12V) with the Jackery Explorer 1000 Pro (new model just released a few months ago.) Wondering if anyone has experience with a similar combination and could help offer some advice on how they may work together. The setup is just used for 2 months during the summer with the panels saying in the off grid location but the Jackery would be brought back to on grid where it can be charged/maintained however is best for it's longevity.

How I am hoping it will work is that I can leave the panels connected during the 2 months, and that they will actively charge it when they are getting power during the day, and then we can use the Jackery outputs etc as normal during the day/night. Mostly would be charging phones/laptops from the USB C ports, and running some LED lights so power usage would normally be pretty low. I saw another post saying that some power stations can’t automatically handle panels connected like this all the time and might require them to be unplugged / replunged to allow the input to accept power again each day, does anyone know if this would be the case with the setup I am thinking about here?

I’m also trying to figure out how to connect everything, I see that the Jackery itself comes with 2x DC7909 to DC8020 adaptors, so I am trying to figure out do I just need to get another adapter to allow it to go from MC4 > DC7909 > DC8020, or is there a more efficient way to connect it with say a MC4 that directly goes to DC8020 on the Jackery? I do also need to use a 30ft extension cable to allow the panels to run from the roof down to where the Jackery will be, so I was looking at this setup:
Renogy Solar Panel MC4 > 30ft 10AWG MC4 extension > 3ft 12AWG MC4 to DC 8mm/DC7909 > Jackery DC7909 to DC8020 Adapter > Jackery Explorer 1000 Pro

I already have one 100 Watt panel + 30ft MC4 extension for it, so I was thinking I would just duplicate the cable setup for each of the panels and connect them separately to the 2x DC8020 ports on the Jackery, with the thought this will help reduce power loss over the distance. Looking for advice if this is too many connections that would impact the power, and if the 10AWG going into 12AWG would be ok for this distance.

I was looking at uses these cables/extensions:
30ft 10AWG MC4 extension
3ft 12AWG MC4 to DC 8mm/DC7909

Appreciate any thoughts,
I have tried the 12AWG MC4 to DC 8mm/DC7909 and it didn't work. I was hoping it would connect a Renogy 100 watt panel to charge the Jackery explorer 1000 pro. :-(

As Techman stated, I think that Jackery uses a slightly different DC8020 connector but don't take my word for it. Check the specs !

The DC7909 might fit but it wont charge properly. You should be able to find a DC7909 to DC8020 adapter if that is what it takes. (amazon B09C8B9VG7)

Is this a record for necro threads ?

Back