diy solar

diy solar

Using spring washers for M6 studs on soft alloy terminals?

BlitzSSS

Hi All

I plan to use some spring washers on the M6 terminals for my Lishen cells with threaded holes (using grub screws and nuts, not bolts).

I'm very concerned about how easy these terminals are to strip and figure the spring washers will give me a good indication of the when the nuts are tightened sufficiently and also provide some protection against them working their way loose in the RV/Caravan (lots of movement) they will be used in.

Do I need to be extra cautious with these spring washers as I don't see them being used in any of the videos on these types of cells, I have no first hand experience with these cells and am quite alarmed at how little force the recommended 4nm actually looks on video. Could these spring washers require additional force which could be too much?

Thanks

I’ve been wondering about this myself.

I’ve used spring washers on eve cells . My first trip to the rodeo with these cells and I’m learning .

ive not stripped the eve cell terminal, yet. But I can set the potential to bugger it all up.

I have no washers - flat, split or spring - on my terminal screws. No thread locker either. I recently had the opportunity to check all of them to make sure they hadn't come loose. No issues at all. This is in an RV trailer that sees plenty of rough dirt roads.

One key to ensuring you don't strip the terminals is using a screw/bolt/whatever that is long enough to engage all, or almost all, the threads on the terminal. Engaging only the first four threads is a good way to strip them.

I don't have any washers on mine right now either, but may add a Belleville washer when I modify the layout for installation in my RV this spring.
Currently I just have the nordlock type nuts on the studs.... they do make washers like that also.
I'm still on the fence.

One key to ensuring you don't strip the terminals is using a screw/bolt/whatever that is long enough to engage all, or almost all, the threads on the terminal. Engaging only the first four threads is a good way to strip them.

that is wise advice. Thank you sir.

I’ve got a six week trip away with the family planned shortly and will check. I’ve used longer than needed brass screws that I’ve backed off with washers. I can adjust the depth with the washers so I’ll double check the screws have penetrated almost all the way.

until I’m told otherwise I’ll be using spring or split washers . In camper trailer that sees dirt roads I believe they are needed if not using nyloc nuts.

Back