diy solar

diy solar

Using SS Growatt SPF 5000 as a 240V battery charger

Darkstar

Rain Wrangler
I have a Signature Solar model growatt 5000 ES. I also have a 240V split phase charging source from another system on our property. I would like to connect the 240V split phase source to the input of the growatt to charge a local system's battery. Is there a relatively safe way to do this? Does the signature solar model growatt require 240V single phase input only? would it be possible to connect the 2 hot legs of the 240V split phase source to the "L" and "N" input terminals of the growatt? Or would that invoke the smoke?

This is the most cost effective 240v charger that I have been able to find. And I have been looking for 8 months. I will have two in my system for charging from an external source.

I have been looking for years...

Did you hook up Split phase 240V input to yours without problems? I saw your other post detailing: "Growatt SPF-5000-ES AT and N/G solutions"

It's just a 240v single phase input. That's all that you need. Two hots and a ground.

So just leave the neutral from my split phase source unconnected? And to verify, it's ok to connect one leg of the hot to the input terminal marked "N" on the growatt?

So just leave the neutral from my split phase source unconnected? And to verify, it's ok to connect one leg of the hot to the input terminal marked "N" on the growatt?
No neutral required.
The terminal market "N" is a European marking.
L2 connects to this terminal in the US.

Thanks for your help. Working great.

Do you have any figures or sense for what the conversion efficiency is in charge only mode?

Thanks for your help. Working great.

Do you have any figures or sense for what the conversion efficiency is in charge only mode?
Not exactly. But the unit draws 65w continuous just to run. And battery efficiency of LFP is in the high 90's.
I'm more than happy with it.

Finally got a full charge out of the growatt, the charger turned off automatically at my voltage setpoint. That battery has fallen a full volt at this point. When does the charger kick back in?

Finally got a full charge out of the growatt, the charger turned off automatically at my voltage setpoint. That battery has fallen a full volt at this point. When does the charger kick back in?
Should very soon.
Maybe another 0.5v.

Battery is at 53.1 currently and still no sign of the charger kicking in...

You might have to restart the inverter to resume charging after changing the settings.

Back