diy solar

diy solar

Using USB ports on RV solar controller

JDK2078

If I plug into a USB port on the charge controller in my RV does it provide power directly from the solar panel on the roof or from the RV house batteries? Just trying to figure out if it makes any difference using USB outlets in the RV vs those on directly on the solar controller panel.

If I plug into a USB port on the charge controller in my RV does it provide power directly from the solar panel on the roof or from the RV house batteries? Just trying to figure out if it makes any difference using USB outlets in the RV vs those on directly on the solar controller panel.

I can't say anything to your specific controller since you haven't provided that information, but they typically operate as follows:

Battery power powers the charge controller, and the power for the USB comes from the batteries.
Battery power powers the charge controller, and the power for the USB comes from solar if it's available.

I have seen an instance where a charge controller would power the USB purely from solar even when disconnected from batteries.

You can always test it yourself.

Thanks. This is the controller.

Attachments

• 20220123_110232.jpg
    20220123_110232.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 3
Back