diy solar

diy solar

using victron IP22 smart charger (30 amp) as a RV converter charger ?

big jerr

hi all, newbe with a question on using a victron IP22 110v smart charger as or inplace of my RV converter in newer RV ?

first we have 400 watts of roof solar, 100/30 victron MPPT charger , victron battery minder for low temp shut down and a 200AMP chin lithium with a 2200 watt inverter.

the victron IP22 110v charger can charge lithium @ 30 amp or 15 amp selectable and also has a setting for converter or charger mode, right now I use as 110 ac charging lith.ion battery when on shore/generator when we need to boost the battery due to insufficient solar to use ratio. say once a week. WE HAVE the RV converter off so 12 v runs on battery only even when on shore/generator where the IP22 charger is used and set to 30 amp charge .

This set up seems to work great so thinking of removing the existing rv charger/converter and installing the IP22 in old converter hole in electrical/power panel spot.

I should probably consult victron too, as the IP22 does put out some heat when set on 30 amp charge , Any thoughts on this or cautions ?? ???
thanks Jerr

Most converters are around 55A, so that falls a bit short, but it's probably more efficient than your typical RV converter (85%).

Aside from the current limitation, I don't see an issue.

Concerning the heat, make sure the installation complies with the manual.

I have almost the same exact setup as you and I am in the process of the install. I have a rocker switch I am going to put on the converter to turn the converter on and off. It will be off most of the time. But if I am boondocking and need a quick charge I can fire up my generator. Just running the IP22 off the generator will require the generator to be on for a long time at near idle speed. This way I can fire up the 55A converter along with the IP22 and now I have 85A charging the batteries and generator can run half as long.

Back