diy solar

diy solar

Using Victron Lynx to connect battery bank?

I have a BMV700. Would I then need an additional monitor?
Nope, you can use that one between the negative terminals like was shown on the photos above. The lynx shunt is just an alternative but it does the same thing. It’s just made to connect directly to the lynx distributor perfectly. But most definitely not required

Sorry. I meant can I wire the head unit of the bmv700 to the lynx shunt, or would I need to buy a cerbo or something.

The Lynx shunt plus Cerbo is a better option than what I originally installed. If you have the room, ditch the BMV and shunt and install the Lynx shunt plus a Cerbo GX. You will not regret it.

The Lynx shunt plus Cerbo is a better option than what I originally installed. If you have the room, ditch the BMV and shunt and install the Lynx shunt plus a Cerbo GX. You will not regret it.
Seems like a ton of money though...

Agreed, adding the Cerbo into the mix is amazing, and what I did. Gives you a lot of flexibility as well as easy access to VRM for monitoring all your components.

yes it IS a BIG jump in cost for the Lynx Shunt and Cerbo, no denying that.

Also, I'm not sure if you could use the BMV700 head unit with the lynx shunt, I don't know enough about that one. I assume you're simply wanting the display which is why your asking correct? The lynx shunt doesn't have a similar display, it's more intended to be used with a GX device (Color Control, Cerbo, etc)

to be clear, functionally, your system will work just fine with either shunt.

Why? A BMV can connect to any GX device.
For a small system, it’s fine. But in larger systems I prefer the possibility of daisy chaining VE.can vs lots of VE.direct. The Lynx will provide power to the distributor LEDs, if that’s even important or not, and provides a decent main system fuse with a CN fuse. Since I use MRBF fuses directly on the battery terminals, this combo works really well, looks clean, and isn’t much more for a larger system. But, I did assume that he wasn’t planning to use a GX. Perhaps I misunderstood him.

For a small system, it’s fine. But in larger systems I prefer the possibility of daisy chaining VE.can vs lots of VE.direct. The Lynx will provide power to the distributor LEDs, if that’s even important or not, and provides a decent main system fuse with a CN fuse. Since I use MRBF fuses directly on the battery terminals, this combo works really well, looks clean, and isn’t much more for a larger system. But, I did assume that he wasn’t planning to use a GX. Perhaps I misunderstood him.

Ah. Yeah. IIRC, VE.Direct is a bit of a bandwidth/processor hog too. I have VE.CAN MPPT, so the only thing I NEED VE.Direct for is the BMV.

The thing I don't like about the Lynx is the MRBF fuses (and the cost). When you go with LFP, the AIC of MRBF is too low, and you should go with Class T.

GX FTWMFW. Have a CCGX. I giggle a little every day when I check out the system remotely on VRM.

VE.direct has a lot of interrupts on the CPU, yeah, but that's not the biggest issue. The Cerbo only has 3 VE.direct inputs without needing adapters. For larger systems, I spec CAN.bus MPPTs and a Lynx Shunt. It's a much cleaner install and less susceptible to RFI noise pick up than a bunch of VE.direct cables.

The Lynx does not use MRBF fuses. The Lynx distributors use MEGA fuses and the Lynx Shunt uses a CNN fuse. Yeah, a class-T fuse has a higher AIC of 20kA and a MRBF is "only" 10kA. In mobile systems, I'm very comfortable with the combination of MRBF fuses on the terminals and a CNN as the main system fuse when using a Lynx. When space isn't an issue, a Class-T fuse is even better, but really, I have real world experience that MRBF fuses are just fine in 12v and 24v mobile installations. They'll interrupt a dead short with a screwdriver almost immediately with hardly even a spark. Don't ask me how I know.

Back