diy solar

diy solar

Utility Input Neutral ... connected to Inverter Output Neutral....or not

DanBo

I have an EPEVER UP5000-HM8042 inverter. (220V) The inverter comes with Line and Neutral input terminals (from utility power) and separate Line and Neutral output connections for the solar system driven loads. (also a separate common Earth Connection). All my loads (inverter driven and normal utility driven) have individual neutral returns all connected together to a common Neutral Bus at the main breaker box. At this main breaker box, the neutral bus bars are connected to the Earth Bus Bar. Question: Do I need to separate out my inverter load neutral returns and connect them to a new neutral bus which in turn is connected to the inverter neutral terminal, or can I tie the input and output neutrals together to the existing common neutral bus.

Many thanks,

Dan

Various emails to/from EPEVER Support. The answer to my question was: "Yes, for your model can connect input and output neutral". Key issue seemed to revolve around the presence of the transformer in the pic. My model is exactly as the pic below. Anyway, I have connected ACIN Neutral to ACOUT Neutral. All working fine. Just the wireless dongle to set up....why are these so difficult to do.

attachment

I'd say it's wise that you checked with them since it wasn't clear in the documentation. A lot of grid-interactive inverters (most, in my experience) have all their neutrals going to a common internal neutral bus bar, and only require 1 neutral connection back to the panel's bus that will be shared by all inputs and outputs. Especially true of 120/240 split-phase inverters. With 120v inverters it would make sense that the neutrals are not necessarily common internally but can be optionally tied externally.

Back