Utter novice seeks complete fountain system help

ard2dabone

Hi all

I'm a complete solar and electrical novice, I have a stand up water fountain/feature that requires a pump and I would like to make it solar.

I have read lots of posts and watched lots of YouTube videos of others with similar questions but I can't find any specific answers to what I'm looking to find out.

I can see that the general consensus is that it's easier and better to set up a pump/controller/battery setup rather than pump direct to solar panel, also for motor protection.

I have seen a 800 l/h 19w pump on ebay. So my questions are:

1. Can I connect a pump of this size without issue direct to a solar controller?

2. If the answer to question one is yes, what specifications do I need to match up? (I see some controllers are rated 10/20/30a)

3. Will a small 6v/12v motorcycle style battery suffice?

4. What size solar panel would I need to search for?

Or if you know of any 'solar/electronics for idiots' style guides for small projects such as this that you can direct me too would also be welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211111_225412_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20211111_225412_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20211110_172844_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110_172844_com.android.chrome.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 1

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
Hi all

I'm a complete solar and electrical novice, I have a stand up water fountain/feature that requires a pump and I would like to make it solar.

I have read lots of posts and watched lots of YouTube videos of others with similar questions but I can't find any specific answers to what I'm looking to find out.

I can see that the general consensus is that it's easier and better to set up a pump/controller/battery setup rather than pump direct to solar panel, also for motor protection.

Generally, yes, and a small battery can make up for dips in solar production; however, you'll need to protect that battery from completely discharging in poor solar. A solar controller with programmable load ports can do that.

I have seen a 800 l/h 19w pump on ebay. So my questions are:

1. Can I connect a pump of this size without issue direct to a solar controller?

Regular "12V" panels are actually 20-22V open circuit and run 17-19V when producing power. Since it lists 5-12V, I would hesitate to put 17-22V on it. See #2.

2. If the answer to question one is yes, what specifications do I need to match up? (I see some controllers are rated 10/20/30a)

This little guy would take the input from the panel and put out a regulated 12V:

3. Will a small 6v/12v motorcycle style battery suffice?

Yes.

4. What size solar panel would I need to search for?

For 19W, I'd want 50W:

ard2dabone

Hi Sunshine_eggo

So I can get a solar controller to programme the maximum voltage to charge the battery and set a minimum voltage to stop at to protect discharging the battery.

Then does the buck controller go between controller and pump to regulate the output to the pump to match the pump specifications?