diy solar

diy solar

V2h question. Vehicle to home.

Retiredinspain

Hi, We currently have a solar system but the batteries are not big enough for us to go off grid so I am thinking of buying an electric car that is capable of utilising it’s battery to return power to the house.
Now it seems the Bi directional chargers are extremely expensive and was wondering if I could utilise the unused “generator” port in my inverter to recharge the house batteries from the car?
Thanks

When looking at EV's look for V2H or V2L (Vehicle to Load) capabilities. These should be able to output either 120VAC or 240VAC (Split Phase) for North America. If in EU then they will support the 220-230VAC @ 50Hz output standards. You would not need an external charger to go from EV to Load as the load (whatever it is) just get's plugged into the EV. Yes you could use the Inverter/Charger Genset VAC input port provided the EV supplies the correct voltage @ XX Hertz and you also have to ensure that you do not exceed the output limits of the EV's Inverter.

The GOTCHA ! The various companies offer different interfaces and methods, so you have to work with the model of EV you want and how they handle that exchange. At this time it's still a bit of a Wild West as things are not yet "Standardized" to a set of Standards & Codes that would make them all compatible and operationally equivalent, including the interfaces.

Here is a very good explanation between V2G/V2H/V2L.
Presently some EV's have the capabilities but more are coming with V2L/V2G.

Back