diy solar

diy solar

Valence batteries

RGUY777

I am considering purchasing some used Valence batteries for a Solar battery bank. The description says " Valence u-charge XP Series U27-12XP Rechargeable Lithium Battery 12-14.6V".

Will these work with solar? How many should I purchase if I want to build a 24V system?

Any help would be appreciated. Really glad to have a Beginners corner on this forum:)

I am considering purchasing some used Valence batteries for a Solar battery bank. The description says " Valence u-charge XP Series U27-12XP Rechargeable Lithium Battery 12-14.6V".

Will these work with solar? How many should I purchase if I want to build a 24V system?

Any help would be appreciated. Really glad to have a Beginners corner on this forum:)
Well you'll need at least two to make 24 volts. That will give you around 3 kilowatt hours. How much storage do you need? I don't know. I have 60kwh with an extra 100 I don't plan on needing. The average American home probably uses 60 everyday so if you're trying to do the average house on batteries you're going to break the bank.

For info on how to care for the batteries you should read my thread. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/valence-xp-super-thread.5683/

I use these in my motorhome build, and they are great. I got 4 used ones from a vendor in central florida, and they were in perfect condition, around 270 cycles on them each (average) and it's all working perfectly. How many batteries is part of your 'needs-cycle-recharge' equation you need to figure out.

I use these in my motorhome build, and they are great. I got 4 used ones from a vendor in central florida, and they were in perfect condition, around 270 cycles on them each (average) and it's all working perfectly. How many batteries is part of your 'needs-cycle-recharge' equation you need to figure out.
I got a good a while back on 8 of the 138 ah Valences, they test out well trying to decide best pack configuration for full time off grid skoolie!

Hi, did you use a BMS for your Valence batteries? If so which one? Thanks.

Hi, did you use a BMS for your Valence batteries? If so which one? Thanks.
As you know the valence battery already has a balance and data logging system inside, but they do NOT have a FET board for safety switching. I hold my charge at 13.6v all the time, and allow one top balance charge near the end of each use season. My loads are all switched off at 12v with the load software, and my charger system has a temp probe for no cold charging. As far as overload, I have 600a draw available on my bank, and my loads don't go over 200a. I have a catastrophic fuse in line at 200a. (NOT A BREAKER).
All that to say, you can easily create a safe system with these batteries using shelf components and NOT a typical FET BMS or valence relays.

Hello Genesis,

mom building a system for my tiny house on wheels. I’m thinking the Valance U27-12XP would be a good choice. What MPPT and inverter/charger do you have?

Hello Genesis,

mom building a system for my tiny house on wheels. I’m thinking the Valance U27-12XP would be a good choice. What MPPT and inverter/charger do you have?
Hi, I'm using these batteries, yes, very good for my needs. I use a EPever 60a controller, and 1000+w solar coming in at 40v, the invertor is Renogy 2000w/4000w which is more than enough.

If you have anything more than 12 V you'll need a valance bms Which I can help you with. If your going with 12 volts you should get a thunderstruck.

If you have anything more than 12 V you'll need a valance bms Which I can help you with. If your going with 12 volts you should get a thunderstruck.
Tell me more for a 24v system

I need your help
I just wanted to add a note here so I didn't get confused and think I hadn't talked to you. Thanks for the phone call. Here's the prototype I am working on.

Attachments

• 16114459258986742105982088912820.jpg
    16114459258986742105982088912820.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 7
Back