diy solar

diy solar

Valence BMS and Mobile App with Grafana

kmh5147

Hello everyone. I have completed building out a method to use the Valence HV bms and collect all of its data with some custom software. This software uploads the canbus data into a database that is then accessible via pre-built web page dashboard and mobile application for Android.

I want to be as transparent as possible, the hardware cost is made up of the following:

-Valence BMS and 2 contactors.
-Canbus usb adapter
-Dc buck Booster
-48v to 12v adapter
-Low power mini pc (This runs communication service, influxdb database and grafana.)
-Various connectors and plastic project boxes.

My estimate is that the material cost alone is $700 usd.

This is going to sound outrageous but my time is very important to me. I would need to charge around $1500 for this package.

I'm trying to see if I would have any interested buyers at this price?

Thank you.

Screenshot_20210115-170629.jpgScreenshot_20210116-214932.jpgScreenshot_20210116-214944.jpgScreenshot_20210116-215003.jpgScreenshot_20210116-215008.jpgScreenshot_20210116-215017.jpg

Nice software!
I already have a setup in my car, with a LV BMS and seven U27-12XP battery. The Valence Config and Monitoring software is not the best looking software and I would love to get it replaced by a software like yours. I have already all harwarde needed, including the CANUSB adapter.
Are you willing to disclose the software and if yes, will you charge for it?

Nice software!
I already have a setup in my car, with a LV BMS and seven U27-12XP battery. The Valence Config and Monitoring software is not the best looking software and I would love to get it replaced by a software like yours. I have already all harwarde needed, including the CANUSB adapter.
Yes. Please PM me.

Very nice job! Looks like it took a lot of work. Makes me want to trashcan my thunderstruck vc1! You really should also see about the ability to make your own bms via the computer hardware since you have done so well with that software. I reckon you might be able to put everything into a single enclosure then and have a very professional product.

Nice software!
Yes. Please PM
Very nice job! Looks like it took a lot of work. Makes me want to trashcan my thunderstruck vc1! You really should also see about the ability to make your own bms via the computer hardware since you have done so well with that software. I reckon you might be able to put everything into a single enclosure then and have a very professional product.
Thank you. Since we are generally a small group of people using these batteries, I'm not sure it's worth the cost (time and material).

Today you can aquire a standard HV valence bms pretty easily. Also, the HV bms are easy to convert to 12/24/48 and you have the positive of a production ready product right out of the box. I'm sure you know and understand the value of a quality product after the thunderstruck and others trying to use the Chinese stuff.

I also want to note, the bms outputs a ton of data. I haven't counted all of the fields that I'm writing to the database, but it's many more than I'm displaying in the app. Since all of the data goes into a database, you can use grafana to display all of this data. You can also modify the interface with any data you like in the mobile app.

The best part beyond the mobile app is the ability to tend the data back weeks/months/years in 500ms increments.

You’re using a u-bms-hv to manage a low voltage system? Are you driving the contractors directly or through the bms?

You’re using a u-bms-hv to manage a low voltage system? Are you driving the contractors directly or through the bms?
Yes, HV valence bms and everything works perfectly. I'm using 2 contactors which are controlled by the bms. One for precharge and the other for low/hi voltage.

I have to say thank you for doing such a nice job programming all this. The thing I like most about it is being able to easily check up on my system when I'm not home. Also love the Diagnostic abilities of seeing historical charts. If there's anybody wondering if you should get this I can vouch for it. With nearly 40 batteries this is an essential item for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210109-093537_BMS_Monitor.jpg
    Screenshot_20210109-093537_BMS_Monitor.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 30
Yes, HV valence bms and everything works perfectly. I'm using 2 contactors which are controlled by the bms. One for precharge and the other for low/hi voltage.
Were you able to program yourself the Valence BMS software to match your battery setup?

Were you able to program yourself the Valence BMS software to match your battery setup?
Yes he has programmed it correctly. It was a big pain in the butt to figure Out how to program it. But now it's not so bad. The BMS he provides handles all of the balancing and protections just as it was originally intended.

That's quite interesting!!
Thanks for your contribution!!!
Very educational!

Yes he has programmed it correctly. It was a big pain in the butt to figure Out how to program it. But now it's not so bad. The BMS he provides handles all of the balancing and protections just as it was originally intended.
Thats great news , did you have do it using the config software or crack the xml hash?

Great work -- very cool to see this -- just sent you a PM as I am quite interested pending some details.

I may by early next year have this moved to a raspberry pi zero with a canbus hat. Personally, I prefer using the valence bms since it was designed to work with these batteries. The cost of a valence hv bms in relation to reverse engineering the 485 plus the risk of missing something isn't much worth it to me. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future, but the math doesn't add up right now.

Have to say great work, Mind if I ask how you reconfigured the UBMS? Did you work out how to calculate xml hash or do it some other way?

Hello, I'm dipping back into my Valence Battery project. I have a HV BMS and 20 or 22 of the older black 12v Batteries.

Am I right in understanding someone has been able to program the HV BMS to monitor the overall system? Does it balance between batteries in a series string? Ie, if I was running 2S10P 24v setup would this proposed setup adequately balance the pack without external balancers (12v midpoint).

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello, I'm dipping back into my Valence Battery project. I have a HV BMS and 20 or 22 of the older black 12v Batteries.

Am I right in understanding someone has been able to program the HV BMS to monitor the overall system? Does it balance between batteries in a series string? Ie, if I was running 2S10P 24v setup would this proposed setup adequately balance the pack without external balancers (12v midpoint).

Thanks
Yes but I'm not sure if it works with the old batteries.

Yes. Please PM

Thank you. Since we are generally a small group of people using these batteries, I'm not sure it's worth the cost (time and material).

Today you can aquire a standard HV valence bms pretty easily. Also, the HV bms are easy to convert to 12/24/48 and you have the positive of a production ready product right out of the box. I'm sure you know and understand the value of a quality product after the thunderstruck and others trying to use the Chinese stuff.
Were can i purchase the hv valence bms. I cannot find one anywere

Back