diy solar

diy solar

Valence cell voltage disparity

CamperDude

Just hooked my battery up to a charger for the first time. I'm using one of these chargers https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9100l/

Made a communication cable to read the battery and whoa. Should i be alarmed about this? Look at the cell voltages. What should i do about it? I disconnected the charger, it was charging right at 1 amp when i did.

I want to connect this battery in parallel to another valence

Attachments

• battery1 cell voltage.jpg
    battery1 cell voltage.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I just got this battery from an ebay seller. Would this warrant a return?

If i understand correctly from what i've read here.. the battery only actively balances the cells if i'm connected to it via valence software and actively monitoring it?

I don't think anyone can tell you whether to return the battery, but I would advise to read the long Valence thread. It has a ton of info (the largest collection I am aware of) on this battery, and how you can top up individual cells to get them to match. Also, just exercising the battery through charging and discharging may begin to 'recalibrate' the cells, since we don't truly know the history of usage of these batteries. So I personally would do that first...just begin using that lone battery and see what the outcome is. If its cells still won't balance over time, I would begin trialing some top-up charges to those cells, and see where that gets me. If fiddling with this, and additional power supplies/etc. isn't your cup of tea, then a replacement might be needed.

I had one battery like this once. It took ages for the balance to bring back all cell at the same level...I would activate a small load just to bring back the highest cell at 3.65V maximum, and then leave the battery alone just to see if all the cells converge.
The main issue is that 2 cells havez already hit 100% the 2 others are still charging.

The one I had like this, I finally open the side cover and directly charge the lowest cell to bring it back close from the other. Since then, I have conduct a capacity test and all cells remains aligned.

In your case, if the battery does not balance by itself, I would ask for a refund...

Back