diy solar

diy solar

Valence XP batteries in series

Banche1235

Long time lurker and solar noob looking for advice on how to proceed in achieving success with our off grid solar project. I purchased two 138ah 12v Valence batteries with the hopes of running them in series to an MPP Solar LV2424 only to figure out that their internal BMS typically works in tandem with an external unit in order to perform essential protective functions. I’ve been following the XP super thread but haven’t seen much posted about running these batteries in series.
I’ve purchased a Victron battery balancer but feel concerned that this alone won’t be enough to keep the individual cells in check. I’ve seen that a lot of folks are making headway communicating with the batteries via computer and valence software but I’m wondering if anyone out there has had much experience with these batteries in a series connection. I was also curious to hear folks thoughts on the difficulty of rewiring the individual cells (since the wires seem to be reasonably excessable) to another BMS?

I have pretty much ignored Valence due to all of the problems you are referring to with the need for the centralized controller.... To me it does not seem like it is worth the trouble.

When I last looked at the going price for used Valence batteries, they did not seem low enough compared to new cells., and that is before you even consider the BMS issues. Has that changed? Are you able to find Valence batteries low enough to justify purchasing used?

In my case I was able to find two for $200 a piece with under 100 cycles on them. At the time it seemed like such a no brainer but alas they did not have the same “drop-in” capabilities as their lower Ah counterparts. From what I have looked at now I think at $300 to $500 a piece it’s more likely for them to loose a lot of their appeal. But just the other day my neighbor who is also off-grid saw an electric box truck at auction that went for $1500 with 26 of the 138ah batteries in it. It’s unlikely with their recognition at this point that deals like that will continue.

Darn, if it was one of those "Staple trucks" then it houses 48- 12 v/138amp Valence batteries WITH all the necessary hardware!

If a deal like that comes about again, heck one could make a fantastic off-grid house WITH THE TRUCK!
What is a "Staple truck?"

Yes he did say it had something to do with “office supplies” but he could recall exactly. Wow 48... and I thought 26 was a steal. Anywho, just bumping this to see if anyone has in fact replaced the BMS hardware on these 138ah batteries? Would it theoretically be as simple as unscrewing the plate on its side to access the cell wires or would a full dissembly be required?

For an alternate than factory Valence BMS you might try this. I ordered one yesterday for myself. This would obviate the need to disassemble and completely rework the built in BMS systems on each battery.

Banche1235,

I have 4 of the Valence XP 138Ah batteries run in series parallel for 24v hooked up to an MPP Solar LV2424 hybrid. These batteries do have an internal cell balancer that, with the valence software and homemade usb cable, stay pretty well balanced. I have 1Kw of solar on my rv roof and have been running my residential fridge for the last few months. I have the A/C input hooked up just in case of low output on cloudy days, but it's been running primarily off solar and the batteries are pretty well balanced. I have been thinking about getting the BMS from Muller Industries, but it hasn't been in stock for weeks, simply because it's supposed to help balance across the 2 12v batteries in series to 24v,

Yes he did say it had something to do with “office supplies” but he could recall exactly. Wow 48... and I thought 26 was a steal. Anywho, just bumping this to see if anyone has in fact replaced the BMS hardware on these 138ah batteries? Would it theoretically be as simple as unscrewing the plate on its side to access the cell wires or would a full dissembly be required?
Full disassembly I'm afraid, saw a video on YouTube cannot remember his name but he he installed I believe was batrrium management on them.

Long time lurker and solar noob looking for advice on how to proceed in achieving success with our off grid solar project. I purchased two 138ah 12v Valence batteries with the hopes of running them in series to an MPP Solar LV2424 only to figure out that their internal BMS typically works in tandem with an external unit in order to perform essential protective functions. I’ve been following the XP super thread but haven’t seen much posted about running these batteries in series.
I’ve purchased a Victron battery balancer but feel concerned that this alone won’t be enough to keep the individual cells in check. I’ve seen that a lot of folks are making headway communicating with the batteries via computer and valence software but I’m wondering if anyone out there has had much experience with these batteries in a series connection. I was also curious to hear folks thoughts on the difficulty of rewiring the individual cells (since the wires seem to be reasonably excessable) to another BMS?
I just grabbed two Valence u27-12xp batteries as well and also plan on using the MPP Solar LV2424 as well. I've also read conflicting information on whether these batteries will have low/high voltage protection and temp protection. I'm also considering getting two Victron Battery Protect (smart) modules as well as the Victron voltage equalizer that you mention, but I'd still not have temp protection. Did your system end up coming together?

Back