diy solar

diy solar

Van Life - Sleeping Above / Near Batteries Inverter etc

Between cell phones, radio, tv, data transmission, air lane monitoring, gps, wifi, alarms, power lines….. we are continually immersed in a soup bath of radiation every second of the day.
There are two things driving fear of electromagnetic radiation. One is an understandable, but irrational overreaction to the era of fallout from nuclear weapons. Yes, they're both called "radiation," but the non-ionizing kind represented by radio waves has no demonstrated negative effect on living things, unless strong enough to cause heating of tissues at a rate faster than blood flow can dissipate that heat. The two areas of the human body most prone to that effect are the eyes, and parts of the male reproductive apparatus.

It doesn't help that people cooking food in microwave overs use the fun but scientifically incorrect term, "nuking it."

The other thing driving the unfounded concern over EM is that people protesting radio towers and power lines have found it an effective tactic when rallying their neighbors to pick up torches and pitchforks.

As many on this forum are aware, when you take a walk in the sunshine, you're subjecting your body to wide-spectrum solar radiation of about a thousand watts per square meter, way beyond what you can get from everyday electrical objects. Unlike power line or radio exposure, some components of sunlight, such as UV, can corrupt DNA. To be efficient at its job, a power transformer must trap a very high percentage of its magnetic field in its core, whether ferrite or the old laminated-plate type. I don't worry at all about sleeping near one. If the hum keeps you awake, well, OK. Steady humming sounds actually help me sleep.

Rising numbers of cancer diagnoses are happening at the same time as rising exposure to electromagnetic radiation, but there's no evidence the radiation is causal. If you're looking for the causes for increasing diagnoses of cancer, I think it's more likely related to processed foods, obesity, and chemical exposure. As has already been mentioned, there's also the issue of improving medical technology finding cancers which, in decades past, would have been listed on death certificates as "causes incident to old age."

In short, worry about sleeping in weak EM fields if you want, but make sure to wear sunscreen first!

Back