diy solar

diy solar

VE. Smart Network Diagram Help

twolf

Hello,
I'm the new owner of a 2019 InTech Flyer Explore tiny toy hauler. It has an existing Progressive Dynamics power converter to run lights, fridge, fan etc off of shore power or DC. I'm changing the lead acid battery to a (1) Battle Born 100Ah Lithium. The PD power converter has a lithium switch to throw so all good there. I'm looking to add (2) 100w solar panels and use a Victron SmartSolar charge controller with a Victron SmartShunt (VE. Smart Network). Hoping someone can have a look at the two images. Second is existing system in the trailer, first is my understanding of how to wire the smart system. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• solar_wiring_diagram_V1.jpg
    solar_wiring_diagram_V1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 33
  • intech01.jpg
    intech01.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 29
I looked at them. Do you have a question?
Hi, yes thank you. I assembled the first diagram and wondered if I have anything wrong (the neg from shunt leads to ground, not to converter as shown). Also, any recommendations for wire size from battery to shunt to converter would be appreciated. Thanks!

MC4 fuse is not required. Fusing is only required with 3 or more strings in parallel. The panels act as their own fuse. If you choose to use one, make sure it's the same current as listed on the panels label for "max fuse".

Cut-offs are typically used to completely isolate the battery, i.e., from all sources and loads. You appear to have it only cutting off the converter.

Size wires for the anticipated maximum continuous current and fuse for 1.25X that amount.

Thank you @sunshine_eggo, very helpful info. So the correct position for the cut-off in this diagram is between the converter / MPPT and battery (move to the right in the drawing).
The system will use shore power or the 100w solar panels (x2) with Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/20. Not sure how to calculate the maximum continues current.

Thank you @sunshine_eggo, very helpful info. So the correct position for the cut-off in this diagram is between the converter / MPPT and battery (move to the right in the drawing).
The system will use shore power or the 100w solar panels (x2) with Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/20. Not sure how to calculate the maximum continues current.

Concerning charging 100/20 has a max output of 20A by definition. Presumably the "35" in "4135" for the PD unit is 35A. That's a total of 55A with which you could CHARGE.

Discharge depends on the things the battery is powering. However, since it's a 100Ah battery with a 100A limit, you should plan on 100A max.

Back