diy solar

diy solar

Vertical Panel Facing West Toward Lake

greatone76

I'm looking at putting in a set of panels at a lake house. The area is wooded, so I have pretty significant shading problems. I'm wondering if my best bet may be to face the panels west as the trees/shading will block a significant portion of the"morning" sun in a traditional south-facing situation. I"m wondering if vertical toward the lake or what angle toward the lake will be the best and should I see any significant reflection off the lake and/or should I try to get the most out of the reflection by doing a vertical installation? Anyone have experience or has experimentation on this type of situation and/or a simple way to model the situation? Just looking for some advice to get an idea of how I would want to mount the panels to get an idea of where and how many I can install in that location. Thanks for any input it would be greatly appreciated.

You could model it in pvwatts at nrel. I have a 223w sharp module which faces dead east, almost vertical and behind a tree after 10am....

Works fine.amd the 85ah battery is always full even when used for comm radios.
Your site will be as different as any then there is orientation amd tilt of your proposed array to allow for in design.

A solar pathfinder is worth every bit of its 200$. Looks like a cereal box toy, but gets the job done with optics and a 96 million mile long straight edge (sunlight)!

With an instrument like this you can see shade and power reduction offset at a glance for any hour of any rough day of the year.

Its not a 2500$ case with a digital camera in it, bjt i have seen many languishing at dealer installer houses with toast batteries or broken buttons or unused out of laziness.

My pathfinder has been everywhere and has never failed to operate. 20190425_180800.jpg

Back