diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

Looking at the dryer usage, for roughly 28 mins it was 5800 to 6100watts after that the next 40 mins was around 3100w. I guessing it took that time to get the clothes up to temp then it requires much less?

Last edited:
Yours must have a dual heating element. Mine is one 5200W element and the "heat control" is a thermostat and timer system. A bit crude.
Now if I could have it dump that heat into the hot water tank !!!

All 3 banks are doing well, getting the 4th charge controller up will really help. Constant load of the fridges and freezers adds up quickly. It will be interesting to see how high th pv voltage goes as it gets colder. Have to wait for the charge to complete but the highest pv voltage seen is 136.4.

Attachments

• inverter 1 bank.png
    inverter 1 bank.png
    213 KB · Views: 7
  • inverter 1.png
    inverter 1.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 5
  • inverter 2 small loads.png
    inverter 2 small loads.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 5
  • great charge rate for this early.png
    great charge rate for this early.png
    213 KB · Views: 7
  • pv voltage.png
    pv voltage.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 7
Currently 80 500w panels, 4th charge controller is mounted but need to figure out where else I can add 20 panels. Today was really nice for production with total 124 amps being supplied between the battery banks.

Attachments

• 5 days worth inverter 2.png
    5 days worth inverter 2.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 7
  • inverter 1.png
    inverter 1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 8
  • screenshot_270.png
    screenshot_270.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 7
Actually positve today with the dryer, 39 500w panels.

Attachments

• just barely.png
    just barely.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 7
  • dyer.png
    dyer.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 7
Currently 80 500w panels, 4th charge controller is mounted but need to figure out where else I can add 20 panels. Today was really nice for production with total 124 amps being supplied between the battery banks.

40 kW?
167A at 240Vrms?

Can you provide more info on the question, some of the data in solar assist like load apparent, which I really could not find anything on.

Did you say you have eighty, 500W PV panels?
That would be 40 kW (STC)! That's a lot - if grid-tie, would approach 167A backfeed at 240V.
But the charts and numbers show things like 210 kWh PV for a month (for one inverter?) That would be more like 1.5kW

Did you say you have eighty, 500W PV panels?
That would be 40 kW (STC)! That's a lot - if grid-tie, would approach 167A backfeed at 240V.
But the charts and numbers show things like 210 kWh PV for a month (for one inverter?) That would be more like 1.5kW
Thanks for the clarification, I was not sure about the numbers since I was thinking of the max amps I had achieved and was unsure of the 40kwh number. I would like to add 22 more just for the safety margin. Since cloudy days have cut production by 70% or more.

Today was a big day for seeing how the system would hold up. I had to cook 22 meals for clients which all require dysphagia diet. That means stove, blender, microwave to be used. Made a homemade pizza so stove was run again for 40 mins. We had 3 loads of laundry to run as well, plus multiple showers.

Growatt had zero issues running 9700+ loads.
The day is not done and over 45kwh of the day.

Attachments

• big load.png
    big load.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 9
  • inverter 2 stove, dryer, microwave, blender.png
    inverter 2 stove, dryer, microwave, blender.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 9
  • inverter 1 hvac, mini split, water heater, lights.png
    inverter 1 hvac, mini split, water heater, lights.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 9
Final numbers for today: all three banks did make it to a full charge before 5:30.

59.7kwh

Last pic is the dryer on after dark.

Attachments

• final numbers inverter 2.png
    final numbers inverter 2.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 4
  • final numbers inverter 1.png
    final numbers inverter 1.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 4
  • screenshot_589.png
    screenshot_589.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 4
@kromc5 Are you running the Growatt 12kw inverter? What is the idle power draw for this inverter? (finding it hard to get any info like that about it)

@kromc5 Are you running the Growatt 12kw inverter? What is the idle power draw for this inverter? (finding it hard to get any info like that about it)
Solar assist reports 45w, the batrium showed even less on the battery side.

Attachments

• system power 45w.png
    system power 45w.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 9
I would consider today near perfect for solar: data
6100w load
42 500w panels is netting a +5 amp postive +-1
probally need to add another 80 panels /j

Attachments

• postive.png
    postive.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 7
  • dryer load.png
    dryer load.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 7
@kromc5 Thanks again for your help. What is the stud size of the batter cable connection on the inverter? M8 or M10?

Thanks.
M8 = 5/16"
M10 = 3/8"

Looking to start buying lugs and cables before the inverter gets here

Thanks.
M8 = 5/16"
M10 = 3/8"

Looking to start buying lugs and cables before the inverter gets here
I grabbed the smallest lug I had which is slightly over 5/16, so I would say its m8 since it was slightly looose.

Attachments

• PA270234.JPG
    PA270234.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 2
Back