diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

Got a box of splices super cheap on ebay.

Attachments

• PA270235.JPG
    PA270235.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PA270236.JPG
    PA270236.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 15
Getting over 150 amps, 100+ one one and 51 on the other for charging today, we had lots of clouds and did move panels to the larger bank to help get it fully charged.
Here's the totals for usage and production, pv production is way below usage but the cats make up the difference on the converted treadmill 9 hours a day. Sceond screen of the lower usage is inverter 2 online for 11 days for Oct.

Attachments

• screenshot_284.png
    screenshot_284.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 9
  • screenshot_283.png
    screenshot_283.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 9
  • charging 1.png
    charging 1.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 9
We had 3 days of clouds, yesterday sunny, back to clouds, after 150+ amps yesterday, only making 7amps today for the whole system.

Attachments

• screenshot_5901.png
    screenshot_5901.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 6
  • screenshot_5891.png
    screenshot_5891.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 5
Day 4 out of 3 in the cloud apocalypse, Morpheous was right Gates venture Stratospheric controlled perturbation experiment has released CaCO3 to block my pv production. This is a great test and glad I doubled the heating banks, will keep going to low cutoff if that should happen. Even with the 150 amps they never got a full charge which is 4 days without a full charge. Today was mostly negative and the main banks are the lowest since starting over a month ago. Today we did hold off on cooking the longer recipes and laundry. Not sure if I should hit low cut what changes could be made, except more panels. PV on both inverters were record lows. Even without full charge the banks are doing great, no runners etc. Considering how much was pulled since yesterday after sundown plus today and add the pv input they are really holding up well.

Attachments

• lowest battery yet.png
    lowest battery yet.png
    158 KB · Views: 8
  • screenshot_286.png
    screenshot_286.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Found out today the aux had started to come on, in the settings by default the ecobee showed no aux unless the temp fell below 35f. In Auto it was ignoring that setting. The banks were down to 52.01 this morning and load was 9878 watts. I disabled simultaneous aux, and then set it to come on under 5f based on the supplied temp numbers by mrcool. I also moved all panels to bank one to get it charged back up, the weather shows we will have about 3 hours of sunlight, getting over 230amps. Bank 2 on single array is getting over 50 amps, so that is a combiner of over 280amps. Also having no luck on finding bificial panels that are 30mm thickness for the next array.

Attachments

• heating load.png
    heating load.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 230amps.png
    230amps.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 7
  • bank 2.png
    bank 2.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Still did not hit a full charge, but was much closer than prior 4 days. Full cloud cover by 3:30. New records in pv production though, the batteries are doing great. I was worried the most with bank 1 and the large breaker + fuses causing balancing issues. All the banks are so far beating my expectations for staying close.

Attachments

• totals.png
    totals.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 7
  • inverter 2.png
    inverter 2.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 7
  • bank 2.png
    bank 2.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 6
  • bank 1.png
    bank 1.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 7
Last night in roughly 10 hours the hvac / mini split used 36kwh did not think it would be that high, only into the low 30's. Electric bill is looking decent so far. Still think I should install a few more panels though for safety considering the nightly usage. I really wanted to have enough to run an asic miner but that is not going to happen yet.

Attachments

• heating kwh is going up fast as we get into the low 30s.png
    heating kwh is going up fast as we get into the low 30s.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 6
  • bill.png
    bill.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 6
Finally hit a full charge on the dual 4p16s made over 91kwh on the Nov 5, winter time usage is higher than I thought it would be.

Attachments

• full charge.png
    full charge.png
    206.2 KB · Views: 7
  • screenshot_606.jpg
    screenshot_606.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
  • screenshot_607.jpg
    screenshot_607.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 7
4s16p? What size panels? How many SCCs?
I built 3 of them, they are one large bank of 64 cells 4 cell groups 16 series, 80 500w bifacials, 4 charge controllers, but the 4th is not fully up yet.

More pictures here:

Last edited:
So far the system is doing great, the banks are doing very well. No runner issues and they are staying .1 / .3 max of each other duing charge and discharge. The 20f degree move down can be 20+kwh increase per day in usage. Still early but getting almost 200 amps of charge rate even with the loads on both inverters.

Attachments

• loads inverter 2.jpg
    loads inverter 2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 6
  • inverter 1 loads.jpg
    inverter 1 loads.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 8
  • bank 1 doing well.jpg
    bank 1 doing well.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 8
  • bank 2 excellent.jpg
    bank 2 excellent.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 8
  • charging.jpg
    charging.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 7
  • charging 9.jpg
    charging 9.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Bill came into today, so far the meter has not gone up since Oct 19th.

Attachments

• bill 2.jpg
    bill 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 8
  • bill 1.jpg
    bill 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 8
Comparison same time yesterday 200 amps, clouds today: barely 40.

Attachments

• clouds.jpg.jpg
    clouds.jpg.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 4
  • clouds 1.jpg.jpg
    clouds 1.jpg.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I recomend getting a single battery pack. Lots of people get multiple packs and put them together. I think that is a mistake. Doing a large DIY battery pack in my opinion is not as easy as many people think because almost everyone I have seen do it does it wrong.
So what are you defining as "right"?

By wrong do you mean 16s3p is wrong, but 3p16s is right? What are you defining as a "single battery pack"?

I recomend getting a single battery pack. Lots of people get multiple packs and put them together. I think that is a mistake. Doing a large DIY battery pack in my opinion is not as easy as many people think because almost everyone I have seen do it does it wrong.
I was really worried about doing the larger 4p16s banks and combining two of them. But I wanted to at least try and if it failed I would have went to a 2p16s. But the larger banks decreased the costs of m8's, wiring significantly and complexity.

Hit a new record yesterday: 80.8kwh, plus a new record this morning: 12:00 midnight to this morning over 25kwh. (Heating Side) If I did not have the daul 4p16s the amount used from dusk to morning would be getting close to cutoff unless I moved it down.

Attachments

• inverter 2.jpg
    inverter 2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 6
  • heating usage.jpg
    heating usage.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6
almost everyone I have seen do it does it wrong.
Thanks for the validation but I don't agree that it is necessarily right. It should be a function of the use case. There are good reasons to have multiple packs in parallel as well. My decision was partly driven by the fact that I already had a very expensive BMS and did not want to buy two more to run redundant packs.

It's interesting to see slight differences in charge rates on sunny days, even slight haze will effect the totals. Still trying to get more panels santan had a truck come in last week but unable to get sales to return any calls.

Attachments

• charging single.jpg
    charging single.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 4
  • dual 4p16s charging.jpg
    dual 4p16s charging.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 4
Fire alarms just went off and I ran downstairs, inverter 1 was online but I suspect the pv board had some kind of failure. Array was reading 138v, but due to the inverter failure it read a voltage of 56v. After shutting down checked the arrays and they were back to 138v.Took that side completely down and waiting on signature to return my call. There was no discernable smoke but a very strong electronic small. Inverter was still powering the house and charging the batteries. It has been running perfect for over a month now so no idea for the failure.

On side note these performed very well, as I could not see any smoke they could. I have three of them for the inverters, battery banks.

Just checked solar assistant and it captured the failure: Odd the current did not drop.

Attachments

• solar picked up the failure.jpg
    solar picked up the failure.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21
  • current.jpg
    current.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 20
  • combined view.jpg
    combined view.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back