diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

The Iron Ridge looks pretty good. Similar to the Unirac I used for ground mounts, except it is top-clamp only. I used bottom clips.
Originally I had the lightweight rails. I've since picked up heavy duty rails (more like an I-beam) which I'll use for ground mounts when I rearrange them. I'll use the lightweight rails for rooftop with top clamps.

The Iron Ridge looks pretty good. Similar to the Unirac I used for ground mounts, except it is top-clamp only. I used bottom clips.
Originally I had the lightweight rails. I've since picked up heavy duty rails (more like an I-beam) which I'll use for ground mounts when I rearrange them. I'll use the lightweight rails for rooftop with top clamps.

The configuration on iron ridge was very nice and they provide so much information about the build process it really sold me, full torque specs and everything.

Attachments

• iron ridge mounts.jpg
    iron ridge mounts.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IronRidge_Ground_Mount_Installation_Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
The configuration on iron ridge was very nice and they provide so much information about the build process it really sold me, full torque specs and everything.

The main pictures don't show any diagonals. The installation guide does show "cross brace".
If subject to either high winds or earthquake, forming triangles will make the uprights far stronger.

Like this example:

You can fabricate something like that using 1" pipe, U-bolts, unistrut, or whatever.

The main pictures don't show any diagonals. The installation guide does show "cross brace".
If subject to either high winds or earthquake, forming triangles will make the uprights far stronger.

Like this example:

You can fabricate something like that using 1" pipe, U-bolts, unistrut, or whatever.
I will look into seeing if I can add a few triangles to them, solaris-shop was very quick to ship almost everything. I was hoping you or someone could help with the tilt. Since this will be fixed I went to this url: http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html

It show this, I have tried to find a site that would give the overall best position for fixed but have not.

Winter
solar-angle-30.jpg
30° angle
Spring/Fall
solar-angle-50.jpg
53° angle
Summer
solar-angle-80.jpg
76° angle

Funny if I average all 3 numbers its 53 but not sure if aveaging is the best approach for solar tilt.

Winter days are shorter, summer longer. You'll obviously bank fewer kWh in a net-metering program using winter tilt. Off-grid, the winter tilt would tend to make daily production more equal, but what you need depends on consumption. A/C during the summer?

I aimed for half way between spring/fall and summer, and at 2:00 PM sun (back when peak use rates were Noon to 6:00 PM)
Bushes have since become trees, and one array is shaded during afternoons. Less tilt would make it better for when sun is higher, but I plan to also re-orient toward 10:00 AM sun since morning and early afternoon power are now credited at the same rate.
More or higher wattage panels and multiple orientations lets me deliver more kWh within the same kW inverter capability; give 'em more at a cheap rate to get back some kWh during the higher price evening, at a lower cost than batteries.

Winter days are shorter, summer longer. You'll obviously bank fewer kWh in a net-metering program using winter tilt. Off-grid, the winter tilt would tend to make daily production more equal, but what you need depends on consumption. A/C during the summer?

I aimed for half way between spring/fall and summer, and at 2:00 PM sun (back when peak use rates were Noon to 6:00 PM)
Bushes have since become trees, and one array is shaded during afternoons. Less tilt would make it better for when sun is higher, but I plan to also re-orient toward 10:00 AM sun since morning and early afternoon power are now credited at the same rate.
More or higher wattage panels and multiple orientations lets me deliver more kWh within the same kW inverter capability; give 'em more at a cheap rate to get back some kWh during the higher price evening, at a lower cost than batteries.
Thank you for the response, we will have 3 ground mounts systems holding 12 panels and adding more later possibly. Are you saying we should have one facing 1 ground mount south, maybe another inbetween s/w, and one facing more sw? As for the angle I not quite sure about which would be good compromise if I have each one slight different?

These days PV panels are practically the cheapest part of the system.
Unless I had a need to generate more power at some particular time/season, I would consider having one array (one or more strings of suitable voltage for inverter) aimed at 10:00 AM summer sun, one at 4:00 PM summer, one at 1:00 PM winter. Having the total area facing 1:00 PM spring/fall sun a bit over-panelled (PTC) for inverter's rating. The STC total for all panels would probably be 1.5x to 2x inverter's rating. In my location where insolation is supposed to be 5.5 hours average around the year, this should give me 8 or 9 hours times the inverter's rating. Grid tie that's more kWh, and off-grid it is more power for A/C in the summer afternoons and more power in the winter.

You have to be within the Vmp range for your inverter on hot and cold days, so you may do fewer orientations with the panels you get initially. In a year you won't find the same model panels, but you can parallel strings of a different species if they have similar Voc, Vmp. I'm using strings of 24, 12V panels, 12, 24V panels, 8, 36V panels.

These days PV panels are practically the cheapest part of the system.
Unless I had a need to generate more power at some particular time/season, I would consider having one array (one or more strings of suitable voltage for inverter) aimed at 10:00 AM summer sun, one at 4:00 PM summer, one at 1:00 PM winter. Having the total area facing 1:00 PM spring/fall sun a bit over-panelled (PTC) for inverter's rating. The STC total for all panels would probably be 1.5x to 2x inverter's rating. In my location where insolation is supposed to be 5.5 hours average around the year, this should give me 8 or 9 hours times the inverter's rating. Grid tie that's more kWh, and off-grid it is more power for A/C in the summer afternoons and more power in the winter.

You have to be within the Vmp range for your inverter on hot and cold days, so you may do fewer orientations with the panels you get initially. In a year you won't find the same model panels, but you can parallel strings of a different species if they have similar Voc, Vmp. I'm using strings of 24, 12V panels, 12, 24V panels, 8, 36V panels.
Thank you for the reply, I wanted to buy another 24 panels while they still have some in-stock. But we are in a tough spot with a terrible person locally that sales cargo containers and may have to spend money for an attorney.

Here's a shot of the backside of the 500w bifacial panel: from my understanding max voltage input for my inverter is 150v, I was thinking of doing two strings but technically I could do 3 but was worried about being borderline on the input.

If it gets cold at all where you are located with three panels you will be over on voltage and likely let the magic smoke out. ?

If it gets cold at all where you are located with three panels you will be over on voltage and likely let the magic smoke out. ?
Hello Joe, We decied to only do two strings and add charge controllers to prevent any expensive repairs.

Very happy with solaris-shop they are very quick with shipping, iron ridge 3 inch supports, nice to see torque specs, lock tight already applied to the allen screws.

Attachments

• PA160309.JPG
    PA160309.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PA160308.JPG
    PA160308.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 20
  • PA160307.JPG
    PA160307.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PA160306.JPG
    PA160306.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 20
  • PA160304.JPG
    PA160304.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 20
  • PA160303.JPG
    PA160303.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 20
Sorry for the delay in updates a local farmer that we have been trying to work things out with has failed. So we are taking him to court and that has consumed much of our time.

I finally completed the mini split and its so nice just to cool one room in the basement. We already hit a new record low in usage with it only partially installed for October. We average around 2150 to 2400kwh since we moved in, October was 1679kwh. I was really surprised to see this low and was not expecting to drop this much.

Pros for Mr Cool:
Super easy install, barely hear the unit running from 7 feet away powering one unit
Wifi works perfect over phone

Cons: All remotes share the same frequency since they were so close in the basement even though in separate rooms I locked up the units
once due to it turning on 2 or 3 at a time. This required a call to Mr Cool and hitting the main reset button under the top to correct.

Few picks on the ground mounts:
Unloading the 18 3 inch poles was quite the workout not including going through 87 bags on concrete so far.

Attachments

• PB080392.JPG
    PB080392.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 58
  • PB080391.JPG
    PB080391.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 62
  • PB080390.JPG
    PB080390.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 63
  • PB080389.JPG
    PB080389.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 63
  • PB080388.JPG
    PB080388.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Few more pics and updates:
Any comments I make on places I purchase from were not requested just offering experiences:
Solaris Shop as been excellent with after sales support you could not ask for faster returns and replacements.

Today we had the highest winds that I have experience since moving here, soon as you step of the ladder 10ft or 5f it was getting
blown over and moved 5ft. Gusts took my hat over the house 50+ feet into the feed, backs of clips just carried off to the woods.
There is almost no moment in the panels and was very happy to see, since we had extra foot we have really great spacing
to where I can get between the panels to replace or clean in the future.

Iron ridge system is very easy to use and assemble and the ufo's screws that hold down the panels are very easy to work with.

Attachments

• PB150403.JPG
    PB150403.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 83
  • PB150402.JPG
    PB150402.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 83
  • PB150401.JPG
    PB150401.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 73
  • PB150400.JPG
    PB150400.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 74
  • PB150396.JPG
    PB150396.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I been watching videos on cleaning and over and over I see DI water and use no chemicals. Anyone have any comments on cleaning I managed to find a portable DI filter:

For the brush I do not see many options:

I know guys that swear by their DI water for washing their vehicles. But I've never heard of them washing their vehicle without soap. Maybe it can be done with DI water and a brush, but I'm not familiar enough with DI to know.

To clean my panels I have a water/soap solution in a squirt bottle. Spray it on, squeegee it off. Been doing it that way for three years without any issues. Lots cheaper than DI.

That's a heck of a solar mount system you have there. I haven't seen panels without a backing panel.

I know guys that swear by their DI water for washing their vehicles. But I've never heard of them washing their vehicle without soap. Maybe it can be done with DI water and a brush, but I'm not familiar enough with DI to know.

To clean my panels I have a water/soap solution in a squirt bottle. Spray it on, squeegee it off. Been doing it that way for three years without any issues. Lots cheaper than DI.

That's a heck of a solar mount system you have there. I haven't seen panels without a backing panel.
I went to all the major solar washers and they kept saying hard water will greatly spot them, we have rained some and I can see spots. But was unsure but since it was such a large investment was worried about doing it correctly.

The panels are 500w bi-facial so they have glass on both sides and were a great price from signature solar, not sure how much they will do but having glass both sides I though would help with longevity but I'm not sure.

No water spots was one of the major advantage for the DI when washing a vehicle. No doubt about that.

If I had a large solar array, I too would be looking into how to keep them clean. My neighbor has solar on his roof. He never gives it a second thought. I don't think it has ever been cleaned in 6 years.

Had a surprise this evening, I really researched batteries and talked to all that were mentioned and more.
Micheal if paying cash had the best price, others I contacted that were listed here on diy but much higher.
I found two other companies that had great reposes and due to the save a CC I avoided the fees.

Now I need to finally decided on the best way to wire them up and I''m sure I will need the expertise here
on diysolar. If you can guess how many you win a free rejuvenating one week trip to camp solarwonderful, hard labor running the
post hole digger and free fun for all wiring the system.

Once I test them and verify they are good will mention the seller.

Adding an update 10/10/2021: no longer recommend the seller line 2 - till all issues are resolved.

Attachments

• PB160424.JPG
    PB160424.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 74
  • PB160425.JPG
    PB160425.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
No water spots was one of the major advantage for the DI when washing a vehicle. No doubt about that.

If I had a large solar array, I too would be looking into how to keep them clean. My neighbor has solar on his roof. He never gives it a second thought. I don't think it has ever been cleaned in 6 years.
I watched several videos including real world tests showing panels easily loosing 20% or more from dirt in a very short time.

Back