diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

We have lots of cloud cover but there was a narrow window of sunlight before the storm hits. I thought let me change all 6 charge controllers. So if the charge was set to let's say 53.8 I moved it to 54.8, the change allowed it to hit over 400 amps combined for each side.

Attachments

• screenshot_738.jpg
    screenshot_738.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 4
Storm hit extremely dark now, here's the charge amps:

Attachments

• storm.png
    storm.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 4
Clouds are getting even darker, crazy how much even modest clouds can reduce charging.

Attachments

• crazy dark clouds now.jpg
    crazy dark clouds now.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 2
Still looking to get more panels but considering the charge rates I'm hitting I wanted to make sure it would be fine.
When I did the banks I used more conservative .5 rate which was 140amp, since its 4p 560amps.
With the increased panels the Dual 4p16 would at most 380amps the single 4p16s woudl see max of around 180amps.
If the math is wrong please let me know, I'm going to call a few places today about panels.

I really like these panels.

This seems like a good deal but never bought used panels so not sure what to look for interms of problems.

Few others I found.

These are a good price, even have make offer, only issue is you cannot fit 5 on 17ft rail with out adding a short extension.

Found a few more companies but it seems signature / santan have the better pricing. It's just that if you get a pallet from signature and any are damaged I would be out of luck.

Attachments

• P1130229.JPG
    P1130229.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P1130230.JPG
    P1130230.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P1130231.JPG
    P1130231.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 2
Almost 400 amps sunny with clouds though, main bank was at 39% this morning. We have had more cloudy days than sun over the past month 1/2. I took everydown to get it charged back up. We are expecting 15+ inches of snow coming and this is the only day that will have any sunlight for the next week. I'm going to post some pictures of my breaker area as I'm not sure how to proceed with using the grid. I would like to wire up the grid to the inverters to charge the banks. The issue is the lack of any room, so I'm hoping for suggestions.

Attachments

• 14.01.2022_13.30.08_REC.png
    14.01.2022_13.30.08_REC.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 14.01.2022_13.30.39_REC.png
    14.01.2022_13.30.39_REC.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Every panel is covered in snow but making 1 amp.

Attachments

• screenshot_746.jpg
    screenshot_746.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1030165.JPG
    P1030165.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 8
I was getting ready to order more panels but I thinking that the only real option is to wire the inveters to the grid. Since decemeber it as been mostly dense clouds. Took the heating side off 3 days ago as even the no load charge rate has not gone over 30 amps in 3 days. Even on a slight cloudy day it will hit 180 amps, sunny day 320amps or higher. I do not remeber in many years having this many days with clouds. Taking into account the current charge rate even adding additional 32 more panels would not be enough.

Attachments

• charge rate.jpg
    charge rate.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 1
Certainly an option, but may add complexity to your design. You could also consider simply purchasing a grid powered battery charger.
Definetly have to figure out a way to keep the system up and working. It's fustrating to take it offline just to charge the banks up due to the constant clouds.

Open to suggestions, I do not have much room to work with. I would like to either run the grid to the inverters for charging or possibly do eg4 chargers. I'm not sure which section to post this in either. In load testing I moved the majority of breakers to inverter 2. There are not that many left on inverter 1. I was thinking of moving them to a sub panel if I could find one to fit. Only option would be above either inverter.

Attachments

• P1210271.JPG
    P1210271.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P1210272.JPG
    P1210272.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1210273.JPG
    P1210273.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 18
Those footings look great. I've done a few fences with steel posts and do the same thing, domed concrete just above the dirt. Only been 15 years, but I expect another 100, and that's of course if the post caps dont disappear...

Those footings look great. I've done a few fences with steel posts and do the same thing, domed concrete just above the dirt. Only been 15 years, but I expect another 100, and that's of course if the post caps dont disappear...
Thank you, I always try and create good water shed from poles or posts.

Thank you, I always try and create good water shed from poles or posts.
Just catching up on this thread. Looks like it's coming together smoothly. Did you find panels?

I'm envious of folks that are able to do ground mount with bi directional panels. I an at max coverage on this lot already, but I have a lot of roof space at least..

Open to suggestions, I do not have much room to work with. I would like to either run the grid to the inverters for charging or possibly do eg4 chargers. I'm not sure which section to post this in either. In load testing I moved the majority of breakers to inverter 2. There are not that many left on inverter 1. I was thinking of moving them to a sub panel if I could find one to fit. Only option would be above either inverter.
Looks like your panels are full of breakers. That might make it more difficult.

You could do a setup like Dan F did, grid power to a main panel, then manual transfer switch. Diagram in this post. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mpp-lv6548-ac-wiring-question.28655/post-344268

This allows grid power to be fed to your panels if you take inverters off line. I like it and how I intend to install mine.

Just catching up on this thread. Looks like it's coming together smoothly. Did you find panels?

I'm envious of folks that are able to do ground mount with bi directional panels. I an at max coverage on this lot already, but I have a lot of roof space at least..
I did find a comany that sends you replacements, diy member told me about them. I called and spoke with Joseph from kinectsolar.com, the panel/shipping prices are good also. But I have to wait due the supreme courts ruling and go through cms proces. Which is so tiring as this will be the 3rd time.

Looks like your panels are full of breakers. That might make it more difficult.

You could do a setup like Dan F did, grid power to a main panel, then manual transfer switch. Diagram in this post. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mpp-lv6548-ac-wiring-question.28655/post-344268

This allows grid power to be fed to your panels if you take inverters off line. I like it and how I intend to install mine.
Thank you for the link and diagram. I was also thinking I could turn the new breaker panel horizontal with the bottom facing the inverter 1 panel which has the least number of breakers. This would fit and at least and be mostly out of the way.

I measured and found I could fit this above inverter 1. My idea was to move everything from the breaker 1 panel to this box. Then use the 200amp panel to run power to both inverters for charging.

Since this is completely new to me, I wanted to ask about neutral on the new panel that would be installed. Secondly, I would just run a new ground from this outside?

Rheem water heater has been a terrible ordeal with home depot. They keep sending tech out to change parts but they cannot fix it. Home Depot refuses to honor my original price for the replacement. Spent many hours on the phone as they kept going back and forth saying that I had to order from online and they online said the store.

I measured and found I could fit this above inverter 1. My idea was to move everything from the breaker 1 panel to this box. Then use the 200amp panel to run power to both inverters for charging.

Since this is completely new to me, I wanted to ask about neutral on the new panel that would be installed. Secondly, I would just run a new ground from this outside?

Rheem water heater has been a terrible ordeal with home depot. They keep sending tech out to change parts but they cannot fix it. Home Depot refuses to honor my original price for the replacement. Spent many hours on the phone as they kept going back and forth saying that I had to order from online and they online said the store.
Is anything Else in the building connected to grid?
Any sub panels, or additional panels in a building MUST share the same ground. It is fine to put additional ground rods in the system, but they need to be directly connected to the other panels in a system.
You do NOT want a sub or stand alone panel in a building connected To its own ground point.

Last edited:

If this 200 amp panel is considered to be the main service panel after the meter and as it is the first disconnect, it will need to have N-G bond. Remove all other N-G bonds you may have on other service panels, those are considered multi branch feeder circuits. No need for a ground rod on those panels either as they are inside the same building, I would remove any if you have them. Run a EGC to each panel from the main service panel.

Dan F had some trouble with current on the EGC when in bypass mode. This was eliminated by running the inverter ground input directly back to the main service panel.

Back