diy solar

diy solar

Very new to solar but started purchasing items, not sure of the final specs of the whole system.

Do you have the option to have radiant underfloor hydronic? You could couple that with a wood gasification burner and have a very efficient and effective heating system that you can use in summer (with an air to water heatpump) to do radiant cooling. That's how I stay warm (and cool) here at my place.
Any good resources on this? I had hydronic put in for my shop, no boilers as of yet. Was planning on mini splits for cooling and a wood gasifier with propane back up for heating.

Ideally, if a system was efficient enough to remove heat from the building and add it for hot water, that would be sweet. I was planning to dump load summer energy into electric hot water anyway.

I see Daiken makes some units.

I've got my set-up documented here: https://medium.com/@upnorthandoffgrid/6-heating-systems-5c5727c1607e

The cooling is done with a monoblock air to water heat pump, so very easy to install. The only thing you need is to monitor the dew point so you don't end up with condensation, but it's not that difficult really. Additionally, I use the heat pump to offset the amount of wood I need in spring and autumn, when I do have sun, but it's cold.

I've got my set-up documented here: https://medium.com/@upnorthandoffgrid/6-heating-systems-5c5727c1607e

The cooling is done with a monoblock air to water heat pump, so very easy to install. The only thing you need is to monitor the dew point so you don't end up with condensation, but it's not that difficult really. Additionally, I use the heat pump to offset the amount of wood I need in spring and autumn, when I do have sun, but it's cold.
Awesome. Thank you!

Most unmemorable tree felling barber chair/window maker all in one, high winds and lots of rain. Cut down 9 trees in order to get this one down. It was hung up in a much larger tree second pick and I thought it would finish it off but no it wants to hangout overhead. Either chain up with the tractor or dig on it with the backhoe to finish it. I have had to wrap some trees completely in chains to try and stop the barber effect but this one is leaning very badly.

Attachments

• P3160544.JPG
    P3160544.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P3160543.JPG
    P3160543.JPG
    846.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P3160540.JPG
    P3160540.JPG
    675.5 KB · Views: 14
  • P3160539.JPG
    P3160539.JPG
    907.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Super easy to see the full clouds, partial sun and full sun days. Increase comes from charging, laundry, and I do a lot more cooking that uses more electricity.

Attachments

• cloudy-partial-full sun.png
    cloudy-partial-full sun.png
    55 KB · Views: 7
Got down to 29f last night and decided to try the departure since its working after last update. The truck was fully charged and left it connected to the charger. When it gets to 99% it will go to 1.8kw for the last 1%. I remoted started the truck and the heat turned on. I checked the charge rate and it was 5.3kw at 100%. What was interesting is the 5.3kw was not enough keep it from discharging with the heat. I was surprised to see that, tried to find the actual wattage but could not. I remember seeing an interesting documentary on the tesla heat pump but they did not list the efficiency. But I would suspect it would be more efficient than the ptc heat.

Last pallet of panels arrived, I cannot see any damage yet which is amazing. Leaves with me with 60 panels to mount and install and will be completely finished with any further additions. Went and recounted and that will give my 166 panels. The last pallet changed due to shipping issues and will need to calculate the final kw.

Attachments

• P3220555.JPG
    P3220555.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 8
  • P3220554.JPG
    P3220554.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 8
  • P3220553.JPG
    P3220553.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 8
Last pallet of panels arrived, I cannot see any damage yet which is amazing. Leaves with me with 60 panels to mount and install and will be completely finished with any further additions. Went and recounted and that will give my 166 panels. The last pallet changed due to shipping issues and will need to calculate the final kw.
89 panels so far…These cloudy days, 6.25T of heat pumps and a future EV will definitely get ya in the panel ordering mood.

Got down to 29f last night and decided to try the departure since its working after last update. The truck was fully charged and left it connected to the charger. When it gets to 99% it will go to 1.8kw for the last 1%. I remoted started the truck and the heat turned on. I checked the charge rate and it was 5.3kw at 100%. What was interesting is the 5.3kw was not enough keep it from discharging with the heat. I was surprised to see that, tried to find the actual wattage but could not. I remember seeing an interesting documentary on the tesla heat pump but they did not list the efficiency. But I would suspect it would be more efficient than the ptc heat.
My 5 ton heat pump systems consume about that much.

My 5 ton heat pump systems consume about that much.
I can see why ford mentions to keep the heat down to extend range, at that 5.3kw being supplied was not enough it was still discharging.
At the truck is not fully on either so that was crazy to see.

89 panels so far…These cloudy days, 6.25T of heat pumps and a future EV will definitely get ya in the panel ordering mood.
This is my last order for me but I think that the extra will be great. But before summer ends will have some type of forced wood heating ready. Just the couple hours of extra time of sunlight already I'm able to get around 34+kwh into the truck each day.

This is my last order for me but I think that the extra will be great. But before summer ends will have some type of forced wood heating ready. Just the couple hours of extra time of sunlight already I'm able to get around 34+kwh into the truck each day.
16kWh brought in today. It was med dark most of the day. I had 5kWh days back in Dec/Jan. I’ve had a couple of 100+ days so far when my SOC was 30%, bright cool day and using heat pumps. Thankfully have 143kWh battery bank and a free standing wood burner. I need to install a small SE & SW array, build a hp water heater before winter. Keep up the good work.

Wondering whether when you remote start it it also starts preheating the batteries? Or is that something that happens in the background whether truck is on or off?

16kWh brought in today. It was med dark most of the day. I had 5kWh days back in Dec/Jan. I’ve had a couple of 100+ days so far when my SOC was 30%, bright cool day and using heat pumps. Thankfully have 143kWh battery bank and a free standing wood burner. I need to install a small SE & SW array, build a hp water heater before winter. Keep up the good work.
When I was reading about panels in the beginning many articles stated the clouds did not impact that heavily. But clouds can reduce output by 90% or more and its near impossible to get the banks charged during winter.

Wondering whether when you remote start it it also starts preheating the batteries? Or is that something that happens in the background whether truck is on or off?
It will warm the batteries and you can see the range come up decently quick, when its get down to 0f or negative it loose up to 38miles of range overnight.

When I was reading about panels in the beginning many articles stated the clouds did not impact that heavily. But clouds can reduce output by 90% or more and it’s near impossible to get the banks charged during winter.
The thick 20-30000’ thick clouds with the sun at a shallow angle took my production from 130+ down to 5kWh(about the lowest, but only 5 days out of 365). Not too bad. If I can catch the sun between clouds, my bank sees over 385A rolling in. That’s the nice thing about higher quality SCC, versus my first 400W system with an Epever. By the time the Epever took off, the clouds were already blocking again. It was rough getting through the winter, lots of panels, lots of charging power, so that you can put away those electrons when the sun does come out.

The thick 20-30000’ thick clouds with the sun at a shallow angle took my production from 130+ down to 5kWh(about the lowest, but only 5 days out of 365). Not too bad. If I can catch the sun between clouds, my bank sees over 385A rolling in. That’s the nice thing about higher quality SCC, versus my first 400W system with an Epever. By the time the Epever took off, the clouds were already blocking again. It was rough getting through the winter, lots of panels, lots of charging power, so that you can put away those electrons when the sun does come out.
I have always been curious to try something like the Victron 450/200 vs my growatt sccs, but they do really well. They do track well respond to what your seeing and ramp up quickly as the clouds move in and out.

I have always been curious to try something like the Victron 450/200 vs my growatt sccs, but they do really well. They do track well respond to what your seeing and ramp up quickly as the clouds move in and out.
Yes, instantaneous for my 12K’s. I’d say it would make a big difference. Just a slight delay with my Midnites. EPEVER….forever.

Back