diy solar

diy solar

Very simple solar system without battery

sirlancerlot

I wanted to play around with a simple solar system without a battery that I can use to power a small USB fan when it's sunny. I'd like to use it when I'm in my homeoffice.

Now I'm not opposed to using a battery at a later stage but I just don't want to pay for it at the moment. I saw a video of a guy on tiktok who used a solar panel and a charge control that had a USB port to charge his tablet. Although he had a wayyy more powerful solar panel (175W) than I had, I wanted to try to give it a go anyway:

I have an old solar panel that I had from many years ago - it's super small and weak but I was hoping I can make it work. The details on the back are:
Pmax 5W
Imp 0.29A
Vmp 17.5V
Isc 0.32A
Voc 21.5V

I then purchased a cheap charge controller on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394159540776) with USB ports and connected the panel to it. Once connected and in the sun, I could see about 21.5V coming through. However when trying to plug anything to the USB port, nothing happened - neither my little USB fan worked nor did it charge my phone.

Can you immediately see why it wouldn't do any of it? Do I need a solar panel with a higher wattage or Ampere?

Thanks

Those USB ports work off the battery. Until the charge controller sees a battery it won't turn on. You should have bought a buck converter to reduce the voltage and increase possible current. In low light conditions a large capacitor >2,000uF can be added to the panel and many of these converters will bump (those with minim input of 8V).

I didn't see a time stamp, I did see a battery. I run a whole house off a battery I got at the dump. I am a master of batteryless systems. And I don't watch ticktok videos.

I have a 25w, 12v panel and no battery or controller. I use this by itself or with a buck converter or small inverter with usb outputs to power some led lights.
You don't need a battery or controller: just make sure whatever you power directly can handle 12 VDC, or 5vdc if from the usb's.

You made an unwise purchase.
PWM CC do not reduce battery voltage.
You need a buck converter.
Tick Tick is for watching naked women bounce.
End of story.

How about using a car cigarette lighter usb charger as a converter? Would that work when connecting to the solar panel?

Back