diy solar

diy solar

Victron 150/60 went over 15v code 38

barnbiketom

4 100w panels on series.
Open circuit voltage 90 or so....5 amps 70 ' run w/10ga wire....
Brand new AmpereTime 12v100ah and brand new victron 150/60 set to lifepo4 setting. I dont understand what happened?
code 38 and history showed me 15+ volts?????Screenshot_20210321-083257.png

Most likely your batteries BMS disconnected due to one cell being higher than the rest. The high voltage recorded was probably just a spike as that happened.
Disconnect all connections to the controller for 3 minutes, (or turn off breakers if you have them). Re-connect and it should be fine.
After it is working, I would recommend setting your absorption voltage down to 14.0 or 14.1V. This usually helps with “runner” cells that charge faster than others and get out of range.

4 100w panels on series.
Open circuit voltage 90 or so....5 amps 70 ' run w/10ga wire....
Brand new AmpereTime 12v100ah and brand new victron 150/60 set to lifepo4 setting.
Why do you have a 60A SCC for only 400 watts of panels?
You only need 30A.
What is the high voltage disconnect for your battery?

I have 4 more panels to install..
I just changed the current to 30a
The bms must have disconnected. The limit is 15 v. This must have occurred quickly. Im also going to set the charging lower!!

Most likely your batteries BMS disconnected due to one cell being higher than the rest. The high voltage recorded was probably just a spike as that happened.
Disconnect all connections to the controller for 3 minutes, (or turn off breakers if you have them). Re-connect and it should be fine.
After it is working, I would recommend setting your absorption voltage down to 14.0 or 14.1V. This usually helps with “runner” cells that charge faster than others and get out of range.
Thanks so much! I was rather alarmed lol. First day with this mppt!
I am setting it to 30a and 14 v absorbtion

I doubt you hit the 15V total pack BMS limit from charging. You probably had one cell that hit the single cell BMS limit, probably 3.8V or 3.9V depending on the BMS. The BMS then shut off, and caused the MPPT voltage to momentarily spike.
Lowering the charge rate and absorption voltage helps decrease the likelihood of it happening again. This situation is mostly due to cell resistance variations. As the cells get full, the individual cell voltages will start to vary, and not uncommon for a runner cell to jump higher than the rest. Top balancing helps mitigate this, as well as having matched cells.

Top balancing helps mitigate this, as well as having matched cells.
Agreed.

But with the AmpereTime 12v100ah battery, i don't think there is much that can be done at the cell level and probably with the BMS. The 14v limits suggested by Forbisher will greatly help with this issue and will provide a gentler charge on your battery.

Well said!
I feel my problem is solved. Ill update later i get home from work. There is a low to no load on my inverter when im gone too...

Well it's doing it again.
I disconnected my solar panels, then the battery in that order today to do some work as I was going to install a capacity meter.
Upon reconnecting everything, my inverter went over voltage.. i looked at the new inline shunt readout, the inverter readout and my trusty fluke. All were going crazy from 14-17, 18 and 19 volts rapidly changing.
The
Victron shut down of course with an overvoltage code. The battery remained connected internally at 14.2 or so.
I rebooted everything 3 times. Same problem!!!!!
Wth ..
It seems the Victron is very slow to anylyze and properly charge.
This happened before and the SOC is high when this happens.
It happens on the victron default lifepo4 setting OR user defined where i have set the absorbtion at lower setting??
Seems like the unit is bad???????
90 volts in at 4 amps with AmpereTime 100 Ah Victron 150/60
Also set victron at 30 A since new.
Z*#$_&????

Last edited:
I think you have the option of auto selecting the battery voltage or setting the battery voltage via the app, try setting to 12v.
The issue could also be caused by an intermittent or faulty connection between the controller and battery.
If you have a breaker between the battery and controller, test, or bypass.
Its not impossible that the battery has a malfunction and is disconnecting. Note the maximum charge current for this battery is 50A.
Do you have an alternative battery , even a LA out of your car, to test the system performance?

A further point, did you let the Victron update to the latest softwere?

Mike

I think you have the option of auto selecting the battery voltage or setting the battery voltage via the app, try setting to 12v.
The issue could also be caused by an intermittent or faulty connection between the controller and battery.
If you have a breaker between the battery and controller, test, or bypass.
Its not impossible that the battery has a malfunction and is disconnecting. Note the maximum charge current for this battery is 50A.
Do you have an alternative battery , even a LA out of your car, to test the system performance?

A further point, did you let the Victron update to the latest softwere?

Mike

1. Battery setting in app is 12v yes.
2....If the bms DID disconnect, would the battery read 14 volts within the 30 seconds it takes me to unhook the terminal on the batt?
3. It updated the moment i connected it the very first time a few weeks ago.
4. 6 ga copper from mppt to batt...ive done voltage drops and wiggle etc.

I am going to discharge the batt as much as i can when i get back home, it will be dark so i might try to re initial ize the victron and let it update again..
Any other input is greatly appreciated. Thsnk you!

IMG_20210401_214931284.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210401-215627.png
    Screenshot_20210401-215627.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210401-215608.png
    Screenshot_20210401-215608.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210401_214947916.jpg
    IMG_20210401_214947916.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210401_214943053.jpg
    IMG_20210401_214943053.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 12
Awg 6 from mppt to batt w/ ancor marine heat shrink ring terminals crimped w/ delco remy professional ratchet crimpers.
10 awg from array.
When working at a lower soc all is well. Little to no voltage drops on any connection.
2 awg neg to shunt and supplied 2x ?? To inverter...

I believe my problem exists when unhooking then rehooking a battery that is high charge state.
Im running it now intil it reaches 30 % then tommor will see what happens!

I'm convinced there's a problem with the victron.
I came home and it was on float mode but noticed that the absorb light and float light were blinking occasionally.
According to victron that is an over voltage condition but on the app the voltage was holding steady I used my digital voltmeter (fluke) and the voltage was holding steady...
I can't believe that the lithium battery would allow the voltage to go up and down rapidly like it's showing..
I'm thinking I've got a bad unit or the programming is wrong or something

I'm leaning towards a faulty controller. I don't know where you got yours, but for me Amazon returns can get complicated after 30 days. The only test I can think of has already been mentioned, and that's try a different battery, even from a vehicle. I have an extra PWM controller and could test the panels and battery that way, but would not be worth the order and the wait.

Have you measured open circuit voltage on the panels? Mine is fairly close to the label. Nearly all 100 watt panels I look at are wired for around 18 volts and 6 amps, but occasionally I see one advertised at 36 volts and 3 amps. Short Circuit voltage on four panels in series like I mentioned could be more than the Victrion 150/60 could handle.

To me your charge settings look good. I thought perhaps the temp compensation was on and at a bad level, but it is disabled so it will stay at 14.2 or 13.5 regardless of temp.

What I find odd about your screen shot of the Victron app is the Solar Voltage is .35 volts and 0 amps. To me that says the panels are disconnected or its dark out. For me, my Victron App may read .1 volts and 0 amps when I flip the circuit breaker or its night time.

I'm sure you've seen this because like you say its a charger or PV overvoltage:

1617413161778.png

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards a faulty controller. I don't know where you got yours, but for me Amazon returns can get complicated after 30 days. The only test I can think of has already been mentioned, and that's try a different battery, even from a vehicle. I have an extra PWM controller and could test the panels and battery that way, but would not be worth the order and the wait.

Have you measured open circuit voltage on the panels? Mine is fairly close to the label. Nearly all 100 watt panels I look at are wired for around 18 volts and 6 amps, but occasionally I see one advertised at 36 volts and 3 amps. Short Circuit voltage on four panels in series like I mentioned could be more than the Victrion 150/60 could handle.

To me your charge settings look good. I thought perhaps the temp compensation was on and at a bad level, but it is disabled so it will stay at 14.2 or 13.5 regardless of temp.

What I find odd about your screen shot of the Victron app is the Solar Voltage is .35 volts and 0 amps. To me that says the panels are disconnected or its dark out. For me, my Victron App may read .1 volts and 0 amps when I flip the circuit breaker or its night time.

View attachment 43588
Still working tonite at 75% .
I will run it down overnight and see what happens tommorow. Im off so i can monitor better

View attachment 43588
I never measured more than 94 volts even at 20° F

Back