diy solar

diy solar

victron 24/12 40a converter - wiring diagram needed

peterjk

Hi everyone,
I am building a small portable solar box, with 8 200ah lithium batteries in series = 24v. I want to convert that to 12 volt for a small 12v dc fridge and a couple diesel Chinese heaters, also 12v. They don't pull much, around 8w when running. anyway, I purchased a victron 24/12 40A converter, but I cannot locate a wiring diagram for it anywhere. The MFG directions are absolutely silly, and not descriptive at all on how to wire it up. Looks like on the left side is says Input 18-24, I'm assuming that is where the 24v pos and neg will connect, but I don understand that layout, there are two connectors on the top and one on the bottom in a V shape, so not sure at all which wire goes where. If anyone, if anyone has wired up one of these, can you please share. Maybe I should return this one and go with the 70A, seems more folks are using that one. Looks like #2 is a Ground, so either one can be used? That leaves the two terminal on top left, are they both POS 24v ? and the two top right would both be POS 12 ?

thumbnail_IMG_1251.jpgScreenshot from 2021-03-20 08-26-06.png

Last edited:
The double terminals are the positives and the single terminals are negatives. Negatives on both sides are tied together (non-isolated) inside the device.

The positive terminals are doubled because:
Important note: always use two parallel cables on input, output and minus if the output current will exceed 25A

Aha, TY @Q-Dog! So for example, coming from my 24 v side POS bus bar, ill run 2, 10g wires to both top terminals, then, from the Ground or NEG bus bar, Ill run 2 10g wires to both bottom terminals, the (non-isolated terminals). Then on the 12V side, ill run one 10g wire to the 12v fuse block POS, cause it only has one POS connection. The Other Fuse block NEG just goes to Neg on the bus bar. Make sense ? Meaning, I dont see on the 12v side how to use both POS terminals. Unless I just run both 12 POS wires from the Victron to the single POS on the 12 fuse block. A small diagram would help of what Im talking about, I know, I have to run out for a bit then I'll draw one up, but this sure helps, thanks again.

Let me know if this makes sense, running two wires from the 12 volt fuse block to the POS on the 12 v side of the Victron. My current my never exceed 25anps but its better to be safe then sorry.thumbnail_IMG_1253.jpg

Does anyone know if we still need a Victron Battery Protect for this unit, or if it has that built in?

To quote Dacian from electrodacus: " ...likely that the Victron orion has remote ON/OFF. And if all you DC loads are connected to the output of this Victron Orion then you do not need the BP100 as the SBMS0 can turn OFF the Orion using that two pin remote ON/OFF connector same type as what is on the Victron BP100."

Hi everyone,
I am building a small portable solar box, with 8 200ah lithium batteries in series = 24v. I want to convert that to 12 volt for a small 12v dc fridge and a couple diesel Chinese heaters, also 12v. They don't pull much, around 8w when running. anyway, I purchased a victron 24/12 40A converter, but I cannot locate a wiring diagram for it anywhere. The MFG directions are absolutely silly, and not descriptive at all on how to wire it up. Looks like on the left side is says Input 18-24, I'm assuming that is where the 24v pos and neg will connect, but I don understand that layout, there are two connectors on the top and one on the bottom in a V shape, so not sure at all which wire goes where. If anyone, if anyone has wired up one of these, can you please share. Maybe I should return this one and go with the 70A, seems more folks are using that one. Looks like #2 is a Ground, so either one can be used? That leaves the two terminal on top left, are they both POS 24v ? and the two top right would both be POS 12 ?

View attachment 41741View attachment 41743
I have this same unit and have the same question. And I agree the instructions that came with it are not helpful. I was also considering returning mine and exchanging for the 70 amp version with the threaded posts.

a Victron Battery Protect for this unit
The general consensus here and on Will's content is to *not* use the Victron Battery Protect. It's generally inadequate for large battery loads and you should connect your inverter directly to the battery.

The double terminals are the positives and the single terminals are negatives. Negatives on both sides are tied together (non-isolated) inside the device.

The positive terminals are doubled because:
Important note: always use two parallel cables on input, output and minus if the output current will exceed 25A
Sorry to go sidewise on thie - but what is thie "always use two cables if current is >25A. Is this a safety thing?

Back