diy solar

diy solar

VICTRON 24V Multiplus II 2x120v Purchase Availability

Per my previous post, UL 458 - RV/Marine. Not residential.
Got it. Thanks. That’s the detail I was looking for.

Is there any technical reason why Solark could get UL 1741 and the Multiplus II 120x2 could not, or is it likely just a matter of market prioritization and cost for approval?

Got it. Thanks. That’s the detail I was looking for.

Is there any technical reason why Solark could get UL 1741 and the Multiplus II 120x2 could not, or is it likely just a matter of market prioritization and cost for approval?
No technical reason. You are correct, market prioritization and cost for approval.

Victron has plenty of business outside the U.S. They're primarily niche here for RV and marine.
Understand. That’s always been my concern with them.

I’ll have to choose between bushwhacking a Victron-based solution next year or pushing the whole upgrade off by another year or two in the hope that 24VDC UL1741-listed options materialize…

Since the heart of my upgraded system will be a V2H-capable bidirectional EV charger, it looks like the prudent thing to would be to wait until that has been selected in any case…

Victron has plenty of business outside the U.S. They're primarily niche here for RV and marine.
It's a pity because from what I can see, they have a unique and cost-effective offering for the US residential ESS market.

A LiFePO4 battery coupled with a pair of Multiplus II 120x1s provides 6kW of 240/120 Split-phase power at a fraction of the cost of a Solark or a Syybox...

The Schneider Conext XW Pro is probably the most competitive in terms of cost but sounds as though it is more complex to manage and also does not support a 24V option...

There is no advantage of using a 2x120 vs a 1x120 if your plan is to stack for 240v. L2 would never be used on either inverter. L1 would go through inverter 1, l2 would go through inverter 2
I’m still analyzing MPII 120x2 versus MPII 120x1 and would appreciate a confirmation from you on the following:

If only a single MPII 120x2 is being used, 240VAC solar power can be connected to the AC output and will function properly when the grid is up, correct? (compared to a single MPII 120x1 where 240VAC grid-tied solar cannot be connected to the AC output).

When the grid goes down, that 240VAC solar will shut down but as long as the grid is up, it will function just as it would connected to the AC input / grid, correct?

Can a pair of MPIIs (either 120x2 or 120x1) provide the proper islanding to power 240VAC AC-coupled solar power connected to the AC output (along with the necessary frequency shift on both legs to throttle AC-coupled PV power generation to match consumption)?

Yes in addition to what I know, the company I run (Current Connected) employs some of the highest trained Victron technicians in the country, so we have limitless knowledge at our disposal. Victron has a TON of features, but they take a lot of reading and understanding to fully utilize.

Yes, you could do this but if your loads are fed through the inverters, the inverter has built in current measurement, so the external CT's are not needed at all. You only need the external CT's if you are powering loads from grid/generator directly, rather than feeding them from the output terminals of the inverter. This model has a 50A input capability, so if AC input was present, you could add another 25A to it (3kva) for a total output of 75A per leg total with grid/generator present. If you adjust the input current limit, you would be able to output [input] + 25A, so if your input circuit was 20a, you could output 45A.

Yes, Multiplus-2 2x120 is able to do a series / split phase 120/240v installation, but it has no advantage over a single 120v model. In this split phase configuration, you wouldn't want to take advantage of the L2 terminals at all, L1 feeds into inverter 1 (and is monitored by that CT), L2 feeds into inverter 2. This gives you powerassist on both legs, and operates as mentioned in previous paragraph.

Exactly...but it would be 3kva (2.4 kW)
Could you give me some feedback on this setup. I currently have a boat with shore power and a generator. Shore power comes in as split phase with 30A on each phase. Each phase is switched individually. So, when I unplug or turn off the shore phase, one phase will drop out before the other phase. I don’t think the Multiplus will bridge the phases in this scenario, but I need to make sure it doesn’t bridge them until both phases have dropped.

I’m thinking about adding a 3000w Multiplus II between the shore power/generator transfer switches and the panel. This setup would run most of my intended loads, but I could possibly add another multiplus at a later date to run all of my potential loads. My panel isn’t loaded such that it can max out the full 30W on each Line.

Here’s a brief schematic of what I have in mind. Everything outside of the broken box is factory. I don’t have fuses added yet.

Attachments

• 112321B9-F725-4AB6-AB2C-2C7DFC657142.jpeg
    112321B9-F725-4AB6-AB2C-2C7DFC657142.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 6
Back