diy solar

diy solar

Victron 48V for sailboat, 20kW motor, logical design validation - help please ^_^

yawnbox

Hello!

I've been learning as much as I can, and before I setup a consult with a marine electrician, and before purchasing, I'd appreciate more eyes on my conceptual design for a 34' steel hull sailboat. Goal being 100% electric, off-grid, live-aboard. This alpha design is just focusing on the DC loads, which is going to be more than enough for my AC loads (when i'm not running the motor).

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 7.03.04 PM.png.

The Lynx tend to have the fuses built in, so the fuses from the MPPT and the "?" ones indicated for the inverters are unnecessary.

400Ah of 48V seems insufficient for propulsion.

Do you actually need split phase?

2000W of solar seems REALLY limiting especially for propulsion and living.. and how horrible shading can be on a boat. Why not two on each MPPT?

A 34 sailing boat has a limited area for solar panels and the rigging, mast, sails will considerably reduce solar yield due to shading. Add the fact that the panels will not have optimum angle and the practical solar yield will be much less than the panels rating.
A sailboat, assuming monohull, will have a heavy keel and steel construction is never lightweight, thus motor power needs may be higher than expected.
My guess is that with 'flat' sea conditions you have around 6 hours running with full batteries. High wind and heavy sea conditions will have much less duration.
The concept will very much depend on your Intended use and experience. If you have adequate sail area and know how to handle the boat in all conditions, engine power will not be an issue.
If you intend long distance travel, perhaps in remore areas, then you need to be able to fix problems.
With continuous movement and possible water ingress the engineering involved needs to be high quality, even so things will fail.

One possible issue is the mechanical build quality of the batteries.

Mike

Last edited:
Back