diy solar

diy solar

Victron batteries

Alexander

Are victron good quality batteries?

Because they are quite expensive and I want to make sure I would buy a good battery. (I need a 12v 60ah battery which last more than 2 years)

It looks like that:

20201127_062540.thumb.jpg.cb25b274e721f7ee4a6023f443aeb844.jpg

I still have troubles finding a battery which is quite cheap (under 150 euros) and good quality too.

So I am curious to know if victron would be a good choice as a battery.

I believe Victron uses Winston cells which are quality.

You could assemble the same thing for a fraction of the cost but if your time is more valuable than your money you won’t go wrong with Victron.

I believe Victron uses Winston cells which are quality.

You could assemble the same thing for a fraction of the cost but if your time is more valuable than your money you won’t go wrong with Victron.
Okay thanks joe, and so if I use it correctly, it can last a few years?

Okay thanks joe, and so if I use it correctly, it can last a few years?

With some care you should get a decade out of them with some degradation in capacity after 2000-5000 cycles.

@SolarQueen has a video here about a different LiFePO4 battery but I think it makes the case for LFP vs SLA.

It will take you less time to watch the last video I posted for you which has the answers I believe than it took me to look all these up for you ?

Take a look first and then post any further questions.

It will take you less time to watch the last video I posted for you which has the answers I believe than it took me to look all these up for you ?

Take a look first and then post any further questions.
Okay so she was talking about kilovault batteries, so I guess this are the lithiums one. And so when she was talking about lead acide batteries, it's about the one I want to buy right? (Victron gel battery)

Oh okay?
But so I can buy it right? It will work??
Your mileage may vary. In solar, there is nothing like one size fits all.
What are you intending to do, what is your consumption, your location, your panels and their orientation/shadows?
Don't expect too much from 12V/60Ah AGM, that is NOT enough to power a 5W load through a rainy winter week.

Your mileage may vary. In solar, there is nothing like one size fits all.
What are you intending to do, what is your consumption, your location, your panels and their orientation/shadows?
Don't expect too much from 12V/60Ah AGM, that is NOT enough to power a 5W load through a rainy winter week.
yeah sure.

So I would like to use a solar panel 12v 100w (Nominal voltage (Vmp) 23.1 V Nominal current (Imp) 4.3 A Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 21.8 V Short-circuit current (Isc) 5.98 A Cellular efficiency 20%) with a EPEVER AN MPPT charge controller 10A, 12V. My goal is to charge my laptop and my phone with it, so I need a battery. I would like this battery to last at least 2 years and I need a 60ah 12v battery at least.

Like I said, my goal is to charge my laptop and my phone for 2 years at least without to change the battery. Would the agm or gel victron batteries work (the one I showed before), or I should use an other one?

I will connect with this battery a 12v cigarette lighter adapter with a fuse. And this will be connected to my Hp (my computer) cigarette lighter charger so I can charge my laptop with it. Some others people told me to do like that.

So what I still don't know which battery to use for that and which cable to put on the positive and negative pole of the battery ("crocodile clip" or "circles clip"). First: the cable from the charge controller to the battery and secondly: from the battery to the cigarette light adapter. And I think except this, I know everything I need to know to do this project.

I hope it is clearer now.

yeah sure.

So I would like to use a solar panel 12v 100w (Nominal voltage (Vmp) 23.1 V Nominal current (Imp) 4.3 A Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 21.8 V Short-circuit current (Isc) 5.98 A Cellular efficiency 20%) with a EPEVER AN MPPT charge controller 10A, 12V. My goal is to charge my laptop and my phone with it, so I need a battery. I would like this battery to last at least 2 years and I need a 60ah 12v battery at least.

Like I said, my goal is to charge my laptop and my phone for 2 years at least without to change the battery. Would the agm or gel victron batteries work (the one I showed before), or I should use an other one?

I will connect with this battery a 12v cigarette lighter adapter with a fuse. And this will be connected to my Hp (my computer) cigarette lighter charger so I can charge my laptop with it. Some others people told me to do like that.

So what I still don't know which battery to use for that and which cable to put on the positive and negative pole of the battery ("crocodile clip" or "circles clip"). First: the cable from the charge controller to the battery and secondly: from the battery to the cigarette light adapter. And I think except this, I know everything I need to know to do this project.

To be even cleared, I forgot to say that I live in Switzerland so it is often cloudy but I also have weeks with only sun (mostly the summer). I still didn't buy the solar panel but I will buy it soon. My house is oriented to the south, and it is towards this side that I would like to put my solar panel.

yeah sure.

OK that is clear.
During summer it will be fine. During winter expect to be able to recharge a tablet if you use it regularly.
A business notebook, used for 8 hours a day will not do!
Expect a 100W panel, oriented south on a Swiss urban environment to deliver 10W during 4 hours/day* on average from Oct to March.
That's ~3Ah/Day...

...and on heavy cloudy days: Rien, Nada, Nichts, Niente! Just enough to power the EPEVER Charger.

OK that is clear.
During summer it will be fine. During winter expect to be able to recharge a tablet if you use it regularly.
A business notebook, used for 8 hours a day will not do!
Expect a 100W panel, oriented south on a Swiss urban environment to deliver 10W during 4 hours/day on average from Oct to March.
That's ~3Ah/Day...
Okay thanks. That's not a lot unfortunately but should be fine.

Back