diy solar

diy solar

victron battery protect and grounding

John Frum

Tell me your problems
I was about to add a victron battery protect between the main positive busbar and the dc load center.
I noticed that I have premises ground connected to a negative terminal on the dc load center.
I think it should be ok even if ground(dirt) potential were somehow high, right?

I was about to add a victron battery protect between the main positive busbar and the dc load center.
I noticed that I have premises ground connected to a negative terminal on the dc load center.
I think it should be ok even if ground(dirt) potential were somehow high, right?
I put the vict. batt protect beteen the positive bus and dc load center with 1/0 cable and ran a 1/0 neg cable from dc load center to negative bus with 2/0 cable from the neg bus to the shunt and 2/0, shunt to chassis ground. The 2/0 reflects inverter is also connected to negative bus...I think if your cable size is suitable you are good to go.

I removed the battery protect.
Replaced it the a pwm solar charge controller that has a low voltage disconnect on its load ports.
My more configurable than battery protect and since I'm only using if for remote-switching its just fine at .3 the price of the battery protect.

Keep in mind that most of these PWM controllers switch the - side. If you have another path for - on the load output side that - wire will try to carry the load current effectively bypassing the PWM controller's on/off. If it's light gauge wire that might make for an exciting time too, but not in a good way.

Back