diy solar

diy solar

Victron blue solar charge controller 75/15 (12/24v-15A) not charging - no yellow light coming on

Aljotock

Hi All

The SCC MPPT has a green light on saying there's power coming from the panels but the yellow light below it won't light saying there's charge going into the batteries. All terminals are sound as far as I can see and the original set up was professionally around 2014 way before I bought the boat last October (2021).
My entire solar and electric arrangement consists of:

4 x 90w professional slimline solar panels CS-90 811012SM
Victron blue solar charge controller 75/15 (12/24v-15A)
4 x Victron Energy blue power GEL batteries BAT412201100 12v-200Ah
Connected 2x Series then 2 x Parallel installed ? 2014
Victron charger/inverter Phoenix multi plus 24V 3Kw 70A
Victron Isolation transformer 24V 3.6Kw
Victron Orion switch mode DCDC converter 24/12 - 25A 25A continuous 35A Max

Solar IN 37V Measured via front terminals of MPPT in direct mid day spring/summer sun.
Battery reading. 25.8V Measured via front terminals of MPPT

The solar is obviously higher than the battery bank so I would expect power to be pushed into the batteries but.... nothing. Even on a really sunny weekend (May bank holiday in the UK was superb!) I've having to run the 7Kw Cummins generator to top up.

The boat was left to stand over winter with no shore power plugged in, as the solar appears not to be working I can only assume the batteries were allowed to flatten totally. The batter bank will supply power via the inverter for ?10 hours (over night) but I don't hold out a great deal of hope for them and I'm prepared to install all new LIFEPO4's eventually.

My question is .... is the MPPT dead or am I just missing some thing really obvious. (All the isolators are set to conduct BTW and no fuses seem blown.)
Any help/advise would be gratefully received.
Many thanks]
Alan

97024CE6-E307-4FF9-9798-9B6E23A6796C.jpg

The Victron has had a hard life, damage to the case and what looks like salt crystals on the top left of the casing.

Disconnect the solar, disconnect the battery, after a few minutes delay, reconnect the battery.

To check the solar either measure the short circuit current or connect direct to the battery (as a temporary test) and monitor the voltage and current.

Reconnect the solar to the Victron. If having verified the panels are working and the battery voltage is correct at the input then the Victron may have failed.

Mike

The Victron has had a hard life, damage to the case and what looks like salt crystals on the top left of the casing.

Disconnect the solar, disconnect the battery, after a few minutes delay, reconnect the battery.

To check the solar either measure the short circuit current or connect direct to the battery (as a temporary test) and monitor the voltage and current.

Reconnect the solar to the Victron. If having verified the panels are working and the battery voltage is correct at the input then the Victron may have failed.

Mike
Thanks Mike
I'll give it a lash ??
When you say "measure the short circuit current" what does that involve. Joining the solar +ve & -ve direct to the multimeter?
Alan

Joining the solar +ve & -ve direct to the multimeter?
Yes, should be within the 10A setting on the meter, Don't forget to change the leads back to the voltage setting after taking the reading.

Mike

Yes, should be within the 10A setting on the meter, Don't forget to change the leads back to the voltage setting after taking the reading.

Mike
Mike you're a star, many thanks, I'll let you know how it goes ??

Back