diy solar

diy solar

Victron BMV-712 and SmartShunt update

RVLiFe

Solar Enthusiast
Victron has released a beta firmware which will now log 45 days worth of data in the trends tab. This was the biggest thing missing with this device and finally makes it worth the money.
No more loosing data when you leave the app or having to necessarily purchase a GX device or a raspberry pi and loading Venus OS for data capture. It will now capture and store many data point readings internally. Apparently there will be additional enhancements in future releases as well.
I’m looking forward to it becoming a general release. The beta seems solid so far.

Last edited:
Victron has released a beta firmware which will now log 45 days worth of data in the trends tab. This was the biggest thing missing with this device and finally makes it worth the money.
No more loosing data when you leave the app or having to necessarily purchase a GX device or a raspberry pi and loading Venus OS for data capture. It will now capture and store many data point readings internally. Apparently there will be additional enhancements in future releases as well.
I’m looking forward to it becoming a general release. The beta seems solid so far.
This is what I love about Victron, they actually keep updating and improving their software/firmware! Others have atrocious software and/or just expect you to buy new model. If people are happy with what they bought to begin with an it is working then fine, but there is always room for improvement and rarely is something bug free.

I need some clarification: Is the logging added to the SmartShunt, the BMV-712, or both? I do not have the battery monitor. Just the SmartShunt, and I would kill for logging.

I need some clarification: Is the logging added to the SmartShunt, the BMV-712, or both? I do not have the battery monitor. Just the SmartShunt, and I would kill for logging.
The logging is for both the BMV-712 and the SmartShunt. I have it running now and it has been logging for almost 24 hours.
Luckily, you won’t have to kill for this feature because it is available now with the beta and will likely be available with the next update.

Attachments

• F07886A5-FBEB-4DAA-B77B-0CD6E9D7A5E3.jpeg
    F07886A5-FBEB-4DAA-B77B-0CD6E9D7A5E3.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 13
I thought this feature was already GA. Bummer, I guess I'll stop looking for historical data on mine. It did an update a week ago, so I thought I would have it.

Sorry, it was pulled a few weeks ago and never made it to the Alpha release. Currently still in Beta but I think it will be available in a month or so. It’s easy enough to to download the Beta if you want to experiment with it. Like I said previously, it’s fairly solid. Only a couple of small interface issues that I’ve spotted and reported as well as an issue installing the firmware but that ended up working flawlessly after my second attempt.
it does not log the Watts but it is promised in a future Bata release as Watts are easily derived from the Voltage and Amps which are recorded and stored. P(Power/Watts)=V(Volts) x I(Amps)

Note: You do not need both SmartShunt and BMV-712 in order to get this functionality. Both devices are getting this feature independently of each other.

Awesome news! Thanks for posting. I came to the forum to ask about 712 logging and did a quick search first.

Any updates on this? Is logging enabled on the smartshunt ? Anyone using the Thornwave setup ?

Back