diy solar

diy solar

Victron BMV-712 bluetooth not wanting to connect

triplethreat

Solar Enthusiast
I just finished up with my battery build and I am using a Victron BMV 712. On my initial try to connect to the Victron app, I received the message about nothing being found. Bluetooth on my Android phone was on, and I tried going through the app to connect, but nothing was recognized. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it several times, to no avail. Password was still at the default 000000, but nothing. I was anxious to see if anything was going to work, so I finally plugged in the display, and the other end to the shunt. I tried again and it worked.
So my question is, does the display HAVE TO BE plugged in to be able to use just the Bluetooth part of it. I wasn't planning on installing the display, just going to use the B.T. and my phone. Am I doing something wrong.

When I connected my Victron shunt it worked with no issues. I do know that the wire that goes to the positive terminal needs to be connected to provide power, but if you’re getting good voltage on the the display, but not bluetooth, except for distance, I don’t know what the problem could be. My Bluetooth has a range of about 30’ and can read inside the Rv from the pass through storage compartment.

I don’t know if the display has a setting to check Bluetooth, but I know the manual tells you how to cycle through settings in the display and an explanation of them.

The display is where the Bluetooth module is for a BMV-712. So yes, it needs to be connected. This is different from the SmartShunt (since it has no display).

If you don't want the display then buying the SmartShunt would be a lot cheaper than the BMV-712.

The display is where the Bluetooth module is for a BMV-712. So yes, it needs to be connected. This is different from the SmartShunt (since it has no display).

If you don't want the display then buying the SmartShunt would be a lot cheaper than the BMV-712.
I thought about that, but then I thought.....well, there's a nice little printed circuit board on the shunt.....that must be part of the B.T. Guess I should have gone with my first instinct. I would also be nice if they would have put that in the instructions that the display and cord MUST be plugged in. Cost wise, I did OK. I bought it from a guy that had purchased it new and he never got around to installing it, then his plans changed and put it up for sale....pretty reasonably priced, so I bought it. Thank you for clarifying the process for me. I guess I'll either just leave it in the front bay or possibly try to mount it inside the trailer and fish the wiring up to it....haven't decided yet.

When I connected my Victron shunt it worked with no issues. I do know that the wire that goes to the positive terminal needs to be connected to provide power, but if you’re getting good voltage on the the display, but not bluetooth, except for distance, I don’t know what the problem could be. My Bluetooth has a range of about 30’ and can read inside the Rv from the pass through storage compartment.

I don’t know if the display has a setting to check Bluetooth, but I know the manual tells you how to cycle through settings in the display and an explanation of them.
Bluetooth distance wasn't the issue, I was sitting on a stool in front of the front generator compartment about 2 1/2 feet from the shunt.....I just didn't know at the time that the display had to be plugged in, and that is where the BT part of it is located. After I got it figured out, I left the display in the front compartment and went inside the trailer and still had the BT working well from inside....should be good to go.

That doesn't come with the BMV-712. The original owner must have bought it extra.

Yeah. That's not mentioned in the manual or the quick installation guide.
I'm pretty sure that he did buy it extra.....The box had been opened, so he must have just put it in there when he shipped the 712 to me. Good to hear that I didn't just overlook the part about having the display connected.....I couldn't find it anywhere and was surprised that it was required for BT to operate....but now I know, and hopefully everyone else does too that reads this thread.

Just a bit of an update. I just fired up the Victron Connect app on my phone while standing at the back door of the house. The trailer is a goo 60 feet away from where I'm standing, inside and it connected. The signal isn't very strong, but it did connect. I'm happy with that and should be zero issues being able to see it inside the trailer also.

Back