diy solar

diy solar

Victron BMV-712 smart t shunt wiring

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Is 4 to 41/2 feet to long of a distance to place the shunt on the negative battery cable. Batteries are outside of trailer . I wondering if I be better to build a weather proof box. If i could I rather have all teh stuff inside the RV.

Yeah, you're good to put it wherever, just make sure that nothing grounds to the battery terminal - aka no connections between the shunt and the battery terminal.

Yeah, you're good to put it wherever, just make sure that nothing grounds to the battery terminal - aka no connections between the shunt and the battery terminal.
We you say you can mount it wherever you can put even farther away from battery? It seems all the manufactures always say put as close to the battery as possible. In my case it would be 4' . But if you put it at say 8 or 10 feet would it not be accurate at that range because of the voltage drop?

We you say you can mount it wherever you can put even farther away from battery? It seems all the manufactures always say put as close to the battery as possible. In my case it would be 4' . But if you put it at say 8 or 10 feet would it not be accurate at that range because of the voltage drop?
The voltage drop will be due to wire size and current draw.....so if the unit is far down the line you are getting inverter power usage but not heat loss in the cable. If you are close you will be reading both....but if you wire is sized good it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Calculate your load and size your wire correctly. Drop is gonna happen either way. It won't really change your actual usage.

It needs to be installed in series with the battery negative and you really don't want to lengthen the battery cables. You can connect the output of the Smart Shunt to the rest of your system with a longer cable.

It needs to be installed in series with the battery negative and you really don't want to lengthen the battery cables. You can connect the output of the Smart Shunt to the rest of your system with a longer cable.
In my case a can not install at the battery as its is outside and it will take 4' of cable to get from the negative battery post to inside the RV

Back