diy solar

diy solar

Victron bvm712

Ruben

Hi guys

how do i wire / setup my victron bvm 712 smart battery monitor to turn off my inverter at a certain preset low voltage ???
Any one of you did it ???
My inverter has the remote on/ off switch also

This one , and luckely it has e remote on/ off switch

Attachments

• A7B860FD-CBB1-49A9-8C55-6339EB8112AB.png
    A7B860FD-CBB1-49A9-8C55-6339EB8112AB.png
    272.6 KB · Views: 12
You can set alarms on the 712 with set and release points, and energize/deenergize the relay on those settings. It’s a low power relay, but it should be fine triggering a remote on another device.

This one , and luckely it has e remote on/ off switch
I can't make out the details of that one, is the remote a toggle style switch or momentary push button? For it to work with the Victron monitor it will need to be a toggle switch or other latching switch. There are ways round this, but more effort is involved.

Sorry for the bad pic ,
Its a toggle switch , pic attached below and also where the cable from the remote on/off switch connects to the inverter

hope all this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 9
If it didn't come with a manual you can probably figure it out by checking the pin out on that remote switch.

I would guess it has 4 wires in the remote cable: Gnd, Inv On signal, Alarm signal, Pwr on. Find the 2 pins that have connectivity when the remote switch is in the on position. Verify it breaks connectivity when the switch is in off position. One wire will be Gnd and one will be the Power signal. Use a 12v battery positive to connect to one of the other 2 lines. Connect 12v negative to each of the first 2 identified wires. When connected to the Gnd you should have one of the remote LEDs light up.

I have a BVM-700. I use the relay to switch on high voltage for something else. The relay can be set for low voltage, but I would not send it through the remote. I would open the inverter case and wire the relay directly to the on off switch. I use a LVD relay to switch the battery feed. I have a 200 amp solid state disconnect.

how do i wire / setup my victron bvm 712 smart battery monitor to turn off my inverter at a certain preset low voltage ???
The Victron BMV does not have the ability to switch its internal programmable relay based on low voltage, only state of charge and temperature. But, frankly, these are far better metrics to use than low voltage because this can vary significantly based on load being drawn.
My inverter has the remote on/ off switch also
Your remote control is indeed a latching type, so this will work fine with the BMV's programmable relay. If you didn't want to create your own cable, then you could simply cut off the remote control and use the RJ45-terminated cable to connect directly to the BMV's relay contacts.

Thank you tictag
Here a pic of the circuitboard of the remote on/ of inverter switch
Any help with which wire goes to where,???

Attachments

• 20149E36-9EF6-43CE-94B8-B7F8B2E2890A.jpeg
    20149E36-9EF6-43CE-94B8-B7F8B2E2890A.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 13
The Victron BMV does not have the ability to switch its internal programmable relay based on low voltage, only state of charge and temperature. But, frankly, these are far better metrics to use than low voltage because this can vary significantly based on load being drawn.

We are talking about a Victron Battery Monitor. The Victron BMS is a different beast. The VB Monitor does have a relay that can be set for low voltage.

I will let some else tell you how to let the smoke out of the remote. I would wire to the on/off switch in the inverter.

Any help with which wire goes to where,???
Please send a screenshot of the other side, top-down, preferably. I specifically want to see how the switch is connected i.e. tracks to and from the switch terminals. Does the remote have an indicator light?

Tictag

Only way to flip over circuit board is to desolder the 2 marked connections , which i am afraid to do to not damage the board and yes the remote switch has a indicator light

Pic attached

Attachments

• 180A49D3-AB34-4504-9E77-AD3887AC82DE.jpeg
    180A49D3-AB34-4504-9E77-AD3887AC82DE.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 11
Only way to flip over circuit board is to desolder the 2 marked connections , which i am afraid to do to not damage the board and yes the remote switch has a indicator light
OK, then, without knowing the exact circuit I would hazard a guess that one of the sets (i.e. Orange/White & Green/White) is connected to either side of the switch, the other set is powering an LED via the 78L05 voltage regulator and, because there appears to be tracks leading from Green/White to the voltage regulator, I am guessing Orange/White is the switch. You can confirm this with a multimeter if you have one.

So, assuming my guesswork is correct, you could snip off the wire (or solder on a parallel cable) and connect the Orange to NO on the BMV and Orange/White to COM on the BMV. This would then allow you to automatically switch off your inverter when a set state of charge is reached.

Note: It doesn't really matter whether you connect to NO or NC on the BMV because the relay is bi-stable, which means that you can set it to switch NO closed or NC open in the software (Connect App).

Be sure to read your BMV's manual with regards to the relay, it has lots of options.

The premise of my advice is thus:

remote.png

You know what , im gonna desolder the 2 contacts
so i can flip over the circuit board and take a picture

will do tomorow , and thnx for helping me out with this

Here ya go

you can see the green and white/ green wires go to the on/ of switch

so what happens now???

Attachments

• 1F6C0020-D92B-4906-A53E-5136D8E4481C.jpeg
    1F6C0020-D92B-4906-A53E-5136D8E4481C.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 9