diy solar

diy solar

Victron Cerbo GX & Touch 50 necessary?

AgroVenturesPeru

Here's where I'm at in my system planning. There's a local company down here that's put together a quote for me, which is a bit higher than I was hoping, so I'm trying to save a bit if possible.

Jinko panels
Pylontech 48v LFP batteries
Victron 150/85 MPPT
Victron Multiplus 48/5000/70

The company that wants to sell me everything also including the following:
Victron Energy Cerbo GX
Victron GX Touch 50

Are these things necessary? The cost of both is pretty significant. Could I substitute for something cheaper or do without completely?

I didn't expect these things to be necessary. I was only assuming I would need some sort of battery monitor.

Last edited:
Hello again. As we've established, Victron is CRAZY expensive to start with. You know... those filthy euro-execs lining their pockets... :)

Those LFP batteries are only dialing up the crazy. You'd save a massive amount of money building your own.

A GX device is required for optimal connectivity and enhanced function. For example, my lead-acid batteries should only be charged by 30A, but my array is capable of delivering in excess of 50A. I can limit the charge controller to 30A, but if I'm using loads beyond that, I want the charge controller to provide additional current beyond 30A if needed. A GX device manages this.

It also allows for complete logging to the Victron VRM system with online access and control. I use mine to manage my off-grid installation 3.5 hours away:

IMHO, a GX device is completely necessary; however, a Venus GX or a Color Control GX (CCGX) may be more cost effective for you. The Cerbo has a lot more connections available, but you don't need them. My CCGX is fine for my Quattro, MPPT 250/100 and BMV-702.

I'm curious why they didn't recommend a BMV battery monitor. I would recommend you get one.

Looking on Amazon, I don't see much difference in the price of the Cerbo, Color Control, and Venus.

Ideally I would just plug my laptop in if I wanted to see these stats. Is an interactive display required (laptop, smartphone, victron display, etc) for the GX unit to do what it needs to do 24/7? Could you just have the GX unit on its own without a display?

The Venus GX is the cheapest solution and it doesn't need a display. You should be able to use VictronConnect on a smartphone/tablet or a laptop on the website. IIRC, there is a local web server option for the GX.

Do you mean
The Venus GX is the cheapest solution and it doesn't need a display. You should be able to use VictronConnect on a smartphone/tablet or a laptop on the website. IIRC, there is a local web server option for the GX.
Cheapest by about $40

I bought the Cebro GX and the touch 50 off Amazon last. Touch 50 $243 Cebro GX $323

I don’t think it is really needed but I wanted a central panel in the trailer that was easy to see everything that’s going on.
It was really easy to install and get working. The remote panel to operate the multiples was $175 so the GX was really only $400 more.

Greg

Many (probably most) people get by fine without a GX device. But as Snoobler says it does enable a lot of advanced functionality and monitoring, and would be very convenient/nice to have for the monitoring functionality alone.

If you are creative, you can use a raspberry pi with Victron's venusOS and save a couple hundred bucks. Or go without it and add it down the road later if needed.

Do you have a good link to learn about raspberry pi? I'm not sure what that is, but I've heard the term. Sounds delicious
Many (probably most) people get by fine without a GX device. But as Snoobler says it does enable a lot of advanced functionality and monitoring, and would be very convenient/nice to have for the monitoring functionality alone.

If you are creative, you can use a raspberry pi with Victron's venusOS and save a couple hundred bucks. Or go without it and add it down the road later if needed.
e

This is what im leaning towards. It's nice to have something easy. The venus gx is barely cheaper.
I bought the Cebro GX and the touch 50 off Amazon last. Touch 50 $243 Cebro GX $323

I don’t think it is really needed but I wanted a central panel in the trailer that was easy to see everything that’s going on.
It was really easy to install and get working. The remote panel to operate the multiples was $175 so the GX was really only $400 more.

Greg

Do you have a good link to learn about raspberry pi? I'm not sure what that is, but I've heard the term. Sounds delicious

I don't have a link that would be better than google for general Rpi info. It is the most ubiquitous single board computer on the market for DIYers and makers. Tiny, Cheap, flexible, infinitely useful. As for Victron + Raspberry Pi, again a search will turn up a handful of relevant results, here is one blog post from Victron and Victron's github page and instructions to get you started, as well as a youtube video from one of our forum members

This is definitely a DIY project though, on both the hardware and software side.

FYI I use a cerbo to monitor my victron devices and with the internet connection in the trailer it uploads everything and is controllable remotely.

I opted not for the display as I can pull up everything on my phone or tablet from wherever I am.

FYI I use a cerbo to monitor my victron devices and with the internet connection in the trailer it uploads everything and is controllable remotely.

I opted not for the display as I can pull up everything on my phone or tablet from wherever I am.

I bought the CCGX about a year ago. I didn't even know about the other options. it's cool to have if I want quick info when I'm near the system, but the vast majority of the time, it's remote console, victron connect, vrm, etc.

Internet only works about half the time here. As long as the internet connections are optional and can be turned off completely (I don't want the hardware constantly searching for a non-existent signal) then the cerbo with the touchscreen is what i want

The CCGX can write log data to an internal microSD. It will then upload it when a connection becomes available. I expect any GX can do this.

What snoobler said with clarification. The cerbo has internal storage and doesn't even need a SD card. It will continue to log data and then upload when connection is available.

What you see on the touchscreen is the exact screen you can see on the LOCAL LAN from a phone/tablet/computer without an internet connection.

What snoobler said with clarification. The cerbo has internal storage and doesn't even need a SD card. It will continue to log data and then upload when connection is available.

What you see on the touchscreen is the exact screen you can see on the LOCAL LAN from a phone/tablet/computer without an internet connection.

Good point. Even without a MicroSD, the CCGX has notable internal storage.

Victron actually offers a free raspberry pi image that can be run in place of a GX, it's worth looking at.
I just use the bluetooth interface with my phone, it does the job for me.

Good point. Even without a MicroSD, the CCGX has notable internal storage.
I use the Cerbo GX without the optional color display since you can use a smartphone or computer connected via Bluetooth or internet to see the remote console. Even though it might not be necessary, I bought a cheap Samsung 32 GB microSD card to put in my Cerbo GX for additional backup data logging if the internet connection is ever lost.

I use the Cerbo GX without the optional color display since you can use a smartphone or computer connected via Bluetooth or internet to see the remote console. Even though it might not be necessary, I bought a cheap Samsung 32 GB microSD card to put in my Cerbo GX for additional backup data logging if the internet connection is ever lost.

I will second the idea of a Cerbo GX without Victron's expensive screen.

Works great with a phone, iPad or my computer with a huge monitor.

Unlike the Schneider Insight system which is a pain to setup the Victron app and VRM just work without even reading the manual.

I will second the idea of a Cerbo GX without Victron's expensive screen.

Works great with a phone, iPad or my computer with a huge monitor.

Unlike the Schneider Insight system which is a pain to setup the Victron app and VRM just work without even reading the manual.
Following up on my previous comment, I use a retired iPhone 6S Plus that I didn't trade in for the measly $30 they were going to give me for it. It works great as a dedicated Remote Console for my setup. Recycling at its best! lol

Back