diy solar

diy solar

Victron charger to replace PD 9245C converter?

srssrs

I am converting to Lifepo4 280ah diy battery from LA. I have determined my PD9245C does not have the correct charge profile to charge this battery.

I plan to leave my converter in place to power my 12v. system when on shore power. Can I do this and not have it charge my Lifepo4 battery? Is this possible?
I am considering adding a Victron BlueSmart IP67 Charger - 12 VDC - 25AMP BPC122547106 to charge my battery instead. I believe it has a good charge profile for LI. I'm not certain I can use this to replace my PD unit altogether? Any thoughts?

I plan to boondock mostly and will have 645w. of PV wired in parallel using a Victron MPPT 100/50 with blue tooth. I also plan to have the alternator charge my battery when running the class c rv. I want to add the charger in case I may need it when the solar and alternator may not be enough.

Open to any and all comments and am aware I may have to add a DC-DC charger to protect my alternator.

Thank you.....Steve

Based on my interpretation of the manual, that converter outputs a constant 13.6V. Is that correct?

If you plan to regularly charge via generator, it is a poor choice. If you plan to use it only as stated, 13.6V is actually a great voltage for LFP. It will slowly and gently charge it to 95+% charged while on shore power.

The advantage of the Victron is that you could locate it very near the battery and avoid wiring losses. RV wiring to the battery is usually junk, and it makes replacing converters with "Lithium compatible" ones pretty worthless.

That charger is fine. You could use it so supplement the converter as well. Note that 25A is going to take nearly 12 hours to fully charge the battery if that's your goal. The PD should charge it in about 6-8 hours depending on your wiring losses.

Back