diy solar

diy solar

Victron connect and bluetooth dongle

tricky74

Hopefully stepping into the Victron world finally.
I can't find much relative info on the net so here goes.
Lets say I have a BMV702 an MPPT and a Multiplus all without bluetooth.
If I buy one bluetooth dongle will the app see everything?
I take it you connect everything to the BMV via ve direct.
Or does each product require it's own dongle?
If the mppt has bluetooth but is connected via ve direct does that show the inverter?
Maybe you can just point me to a link that answers this.

Each device will need it's own bluetooth.

To use Multiplus with VictronConnect, you need a MK3-USB Interface and a computer (no VE.Direct).

VE.direct is for connecting the bluetooth dongle or for connecting to GX devices.

In order to interface all items, you need a GX device.

BMV-702 VE.direct to GX
MPPT VE.direct to GX
Multiplus VE.Bus to GX

Venus or Cerbo (or both) have bluetooth and will allow VictronConnect monitoring. Note that the Multiplus is not accessible

GX device also allows free use of VRM giving you full system visibility online. It also acts as a supplemental controller coordinating the various device's functions, e.g., let's say you have 50A potential of solar charging, and you want the full amount available at all times. Unfortunately, your batteries can only handle 30A. Within the GX device you can specify a 30A maximum charge current, but it doesn't restrict the MPPT from providing the additional 20A to power loads.

VRM requires an internet connection for the GX device.

Here's my VRM:

With VRM, you can download the Multiplus configuration file remotely, change it locally with VE Configure and then upload the altered file to change the Multiplus programming.

The BMV and MPPT can be reprogrammed via Victron Connect communicating with the GX device.

@tricky74 in simple terms what I've heard is that adding the bluetooth dongle to the multiplus allows monitoring from the bluetooth app (with some very limited control like on/off, and setting a current limit), the USB to PC connection is needed for full configuration.

@snoobler can Multi/Quattro settings be accessed through a GX device / VenusOS or through VRM? Or is the MK3/USB cable the only way to access these settings?

SOME Multi/Quattro settings can be changed directly in the GX. I have a Color Control, so I have a display and buttons.

All settings can be changed via VE Configure through VRM or MK3/USB.

Reactions: Dzl
Thanks for the answers. It is a shame they work that way. It would be nice if any of the units have bluetooth you could see everything. Guess that is a way they make money with all the extras.

Back