diy solar

diy solar

Victron Easy Solar - Can the built-in relay be used to trigger a dump load for my hydro?

Stokie

I have had my 48v Victron Easy Solar MPPT 150/70 system running successfully for several years, boosting the low batteries with a diesel generator in the winter.
I am planning to add in my hydro input, approx 1kw, via a Victron 250/60 controller, but have never before set up dump loads for when the battery bank is full.
One Victron service agent once told me that I could use the built-in relay in the Easy Solar unit to turn on the dump load when the batteries were full.
Does anyone know if this is the case?
Another possibility - In the trench with the power cable from the hydro I have laid a CAT 5e cable, just in case there is a way of triggering a slow-closing/opening powered solenoid valve to shut off the water when the batteries are full, and to open again at 50%.

Last edited:
Have you tried

Yes, After searching through the forums I couldn't find any satisfactory answers, so I asked the question.
Just yesterday I found a very helpful video, setting up assistants to switch AC2 output on and off, according to State of Charge. Looks promising, it might just work:

I envy you. The Easy Solar is not available in 120V in the US. I would love to get one, but have to live with the inverter/chargers we can get here from VE. Thanks!
Could you use a 230/110v step down transformer for the AC ouput before your load?

Could you use a 230/110v step down transformer for the AC ouput before your load?
I could, but added cost and more inefficiency with the additional transformer doesn’t make it worth it. Just have to wait till VE decides to sell them here. I have a Quattro right now on my main system and I love it. I have a smaller system running with a 2200W Giandel. I would like to swap it out for an Easy Solar, but will more than likely go with a Phoenix 24/3000.

Thanks for the transformer suggestion. Enjoy your Easy Solar.

Back