diy solar

diy solar

Victron ecosystem joy

snoobler

Solar Honey Badger
Just sharing a little of my personal joy...

As I've mentioned ad nauseam, I'm a slap it together and make it work fast kinda guy. Sort out the details later, try to stay within squinting distance of "best practices," assess negative outcome probabilities and maybe pretty-it-up before I die. Maybe. RTFM? Nah. Maybe an intense skimming at best.

The Victron ecosystem is pretty amazing, and it should be for the cost. I can see and control my off-grid system from 3.5 hours away.

Due to a lack of 3/8" ring terminals, I haven't installed my BMV-700 yet. As with all things easily gleaned from "RTFM", I stumbled upon the fact that Quattros/ Multis can be used as their own Battery Monitor for grid/genny input and inverter output. Couple that with a CCGX unit and an attached Victron MPPT SCC, the three together can operate as a fully functional battery monitor and compute/report/log SoC. I technically don't even need my BMV.

It's just one stupid number, BUT it's an important one, AND the path to make it work also showed me how to configure the Quattro completely by remote. I was also able to change my AC-in and charge currents to something that wouldn't overload my 3850W Predator if I ever need to use it for charging.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT IN THE MORNING!!!

sad.

1599458311871.png

Nice. Is the quattro the same as a multiplus II? with the grid connect function?

Based on a quick read of the Multiplus II datasheet:

Mostly same except Multiplus II is only available in 230VAC.
Quattro has higher output potential per unit. Mine are 5kW units, available up to 10kW
Quattro has two AC inputs.

Last edited:
Woot! Looks like it bottomed at 90%:

1599495161842.png

90% low overnight with a 100W load (70W use + 30W inverter) for about 12 hours. This is pretty consistent with my bank testing to 12kWh actual capacity, and the 24 hour "battery to consumer" kWh value over 24 hours being 1.2-1.4kWh typically.

It showed 100% after only 30 minutes of absorption, so I'm not sure what the 100% SoC trigger is. It's configured as follows:

1599495727074.png

Charger specification is as follows:

1599495784755.png

I suspect it's the 85% bulk threshold and charge efficiency values need to be tweaked. Using only 10% of the bank probably makes that less relevant. My charge current is less than the 0.1C since morning solar is well under that, so my absorption cycle is reduced.

Since it's counting current on the way down, I would tend to trust that number given that I'm well under C20 load. As long as I get to float every day, the SoC number should be meaningful.

This may also be as good as it gets with the built-in Quattro battery monitor. The BMV-7XX have definable parameters with Peukert effects, etc., so I'm sure that can be tweaked heavily for accuracy.

I would gladly accept suggestions from any Victron wizards out there.

Back