diy solar

diy solar

Victron energy shut 712.

Bigblockcutlass123

12k DMV Growatt inverter
How do I get my most expensive highest quality peace equipment in my system to datalog the events through the day? I want to see a graph of the amps, volts, amp hours throughout the day. And that's without plugging my smartphone into it through Bluetooth.

It's a battery MONITOR, not a LOGGER. It does provide actual values, but no history.

If you want do make graphs and so on, you need to periodicly poll the item for the required data and make graphs.

You might want to look into VenusOS on a Rpi and use the VE.Direct connection to interface with the Rpi

Supposedly the BMV-712 will be able to log data at some point. See this thread:

Not impressed you didn’t buy a data logger?

Was it advertised to log data?

I have yet to see how this new firmware lets me see how much energy was put in or taken out of my battery throughout the day. When I hook up the unit to my phone Bluetooth it will only start to graph at that particular point and that if you do anything with the screen at all it shuts off and has to start all over again.

I watched multiple videos of people having these on YouTube. They showed the graphing function under phone app. I didn't realize every time the screen goes dark or gets disconnected and the graph is now gone. It would be nice to see this history for the day when I get home from work

All I want to do is see what is going on when I'm at work when the sun is actually shining.
The 712 will not graph what you want. I don’t know a shunt or any other monitoring system that will do that. They are out there. THe guys with commercial installations can pull up daily production data, I just don’t know what software that is.

The 712 will not graph what you want. I don’t know a shunt or any other monitoring system that will do that. They are out there. THe guys with commercial installations can pull up daily production data, I just don’t know what software that is.

Not yet. Victron has a beta upgrade in the works that will track limited history.

Not yet. Victron has a beta upgrade in the works that will track limited history.
I think that Beta has been in development for 18 months!! :)

I hope limited history spans several hours. My gut tells me there's not enough memory in the hardware on the 712 for that, so the data is pushed to the software to graph.

A Victron SmartShunt connected to a Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus OS, combined with a WiFi connection is a reasonably cheap way to get full data logging and real-time remote monitoring of your system.

A Victron SmartShunt connected to a Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus OS, combined with a WiFi connection is a reasonably cheap way to get full data logging and real-time remote monitoring of your system.
Getting Data logging is a project of mine. For what you said, where would I start to learn that?

I had plan on doing this with Victron’s VeDirect and a laptop and eventually transfer it to a Rasberry Pi. I’m two months behind starting that project.

Getting Data logging is a project of mine. For what you said, where would I start to learn that?

I had plan on doing this with Victron’s VeDirect and a laptop and eventually transfer it to a Rasberry Pi. I’m two months behind starting that project.
There are several good step-by-step videos on Youtube that show you how to get the RPi setup with Venus OS. You need a VE.Direct to USB cable from Victron to connect the shunt (or Victron SCC) to the RPi. If you have a MultiPlus you need the MK3-USB adapter.

You'll want a Raspberry Pi 3B+ to make it easier. There are issues with some newer Raspberry Pis and Venus OS.

Cable:

Some videos:

You'll need to setup a VRM account once you get the RPi all setup and connected to the Internet.

There are several good step-by-step videos on Youtube that show you how to get the RPi setup with Venus OS. You need a VE.Direct to USB cable from Victron to connect the shunt (or Victron SCC) to the RPi. If you have a MultiPlus you need the MK3-USB adapter.

You'll want a Raspberry Pi 3B+ to make it easier. There are issues with some newer Raspberry Pis and Venus OS.

Cable:

Some videos:

You'll need to setup a VRM account once you get the RPi all setup and connected to the Internet.

I appreciate this. The two devices I have to hook to at the house are a Victron 75/15 SCC and Victron 375 VA inverter. The 712 and other SCCs are at the RV.

I don’t have the Rasberry Pi yet, but had hoped to get started with a PC and Perl somehow interfacing with the VE_Direct. I downloaded all I could find off Victron’s website about this, which is a lot, but DEFINITELY not a how to.

I had hoped to build some sort of User Interface to display the data. Don’t know much about “modern” programming, just antiquated languages like Basic, but one of my kids now works in database management type stuff and I hope she can help a little.

My plan was once I got a user interface built at my house, to move this to a Raspberry Pi and install this with some sort of screen so I could monitor the data. Ultimately, in the RV, I‘d like VE Direct to monitor all thre SCCs and the Battery Shunt on a single screen at the same time.

Went on Facebook, bought a dedicated tablet so I can look at the data at the end of the day. One thing for sure on the app don't let it go dormant don't look at nothing else on the tablet because all data is lost on the graph.
All I really want is a way to record the graph it's not a hardware issue it's just a software issue and they can make it part of the app but they don't want to.

Attachments

• 20211206_050337.jpg
    20211206_050337.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 8
Back