diy solar

diy solar

Victron inverter capacity

Lefty8596

I'm going to be remodeling my small RV electrical system and trying to make some final decisions. OEM installs included 400W solar with MPT 12V controller, Progressive dynamics PD4045 with FLA or lithium charger and currently 2 group 27 FLA batteries. I'm replacing the FLA batteries with 200AH Battleborn 12V batteries and eventually adding 30a Victron DC2DC charging and monitoring.
My question is regarding an occasional needed invertor. Largest appliance will be a small RV microwave 1050Watt @ 120VAC used a couple times daily. I am looking for an inverter to be a quality and efficient UL458 listed inverter and Victron Phoenix 12/1200 fits that bill. But I believe this is minimally too small for my needs. What do you think? I don't know the margins and type of appliances that may affect performance of these products. I really don't want to go to the larger Victron Multiplus which would work but be beyond my expense or need. Do I have to go to a 1500 watt minimum which Victron doesn't make?? Any suggestions?

Is the 1050W a rating or consumption? A microwave uses 60% more power than it outputs, i.e., a 1000W microwave will consume 1600W. If your microwave is a 700W unit, 1050W sounds about right for consumption.

It’s a 700w output so I agree the 1050 watt would be about correct for the input. That’s what is on the label.

Phoenix 12/1200 is 1200VA/1000W not much headroom to run your microwave.
Does the microwave name tag show VA rating (Volt and Amp)? It will be about 1230 VA based on PF of 0.85.
Do you have Kill-A-Watt to check the VA of the microwave?
I would run the inverter at about 80 ~ 90% of max rating to get long life from it.

Last edited:
Here's the label on the microwave in my camper.

1675716755513.png

The power consumption rating is just about right. My Victron Multiplus 12/3000 (2400 watt rating) works just fine with my microwave.

I have a Victron Phoenix 12/400 that I bought mainly to run Starlink when I'm out tent camping. It worked so well that I started plugging in other stuff to the Phoenix inverter just to see what would work. Things like the freezer in the garage, a 400 watt space heater and whatever was handy. Some worked, some didn't. In retrospect, I wish I have bought a larger portable inverter so I could run more stuff.

Back