diy solar

diy solar

Victron Lynx ...

Screwball

Some call the Victron Lynx an "overpriced bussbar", but (even on a tight budget as I am) I happen to disagree : I LOVE that thing ! ?

My Lynx "power in" arrived yesterday ... and today I already modified it: enlarged the holes in the (massive) bussbars to allow direct bolt on of the Blue Sea 6006 main switch and the Victron bmv712 shunt.

Besides cleaning up the layout, this alone is a big money saver considering how expensive good 2/0 or 4/0 wire and lugs are.
On top of that I'm going to add the 4 bolts needed to add Mega fuses to each positive, basically turning the "power in" into a distribution unit.
If you add up individual buss bars, fuse blocks and all the wiring, the $140 for a clean, compact and enclosed Lynx is really not that bad ?

20210519_184543.jpg

I recently bought one too and I've been wondering why I shouldn't just bolt the battery on/off and the Victron smart shunt straight to the Power IN. Thanks for posting it :)

Ran out of fuse/busbar space , so I bought another Lynx ? (the blue stuff is addictive I guess ?)
At least it easily bolts right up to the first one

20210526_150346.jpg

(the blue stuff is addictive I guess ?)
Because it's well engineered, relatively easy to integrate, and if your time is tight or valuable, it's worth the money. I just wish they'd have more North American products. I wrote one of their sales engineers recently and he said this year we'd be seeing more products for NA. I originally wanted an EasySolar-II GX for my RV but it's Europe only unless you buy an autotransformer. Bah. Once I found out how easy it is to program the Victron gear and get them to easily talk to each other (i.e. synchronized charging) it turned out an all-in-one didn't really matter.

Take a look at the Lynx Shunt as well.... A bit expensive compared to the SmartShunt but makes all the Lynx distribution LED's work and gets you a ve.can interface to the cerbo for SOC. Also gets a CNL fuse holder.

I'm interested to do a very similar setup, I've the same Blue Sea Switch and an Smarshunt rather than a BMV, how these two level with the Lynx ?
Do they need to be raised or lowered compared to the Lynx Box or they are perfectly align ?

@Screwball , you are a bad influence.

I’m rewiring some stuff and if I can’t fit my SmartShunt on the busbar I have you just cost me $140 ?.

Nicely done !

You just need to redrill the hole of the bus bar @JoeHam, bus bar hole is M8 where is M10 on the smart shunt. Remember that lynx and smart shunt aren't designed to be 'connectctable' together out of the box.

I’m a big fan off my Lynx. The Power-In modified to be a fuse holder and bus bar is actually pretty cost effective and super neat. It also feels very robust/protected which is useful in a tight mobile campervan installation

I’ve attached a blue sea switch on the positive and a Junktec shunt in the negative. Makes for a compact solution

Back