diy solar

diy solar

Victron monitoring accessories

Gould

Well, I thought I had everything figured out and accounted for but I’ve now stumbled on the Victron GX gear. Sheesh, is there anything they don’t sell?

I understand the concept, a central hub that your Victron components connect to and provides information as well as control from a central interface. That interface can be a Victron app or a dedicated screen. What I can’t piece together is what works with what and the differences between the hubs.

I read that the Venus is essentially the same as the Cerbo but has more ports for connectivity. Cost is basically the same, that I don’t understand. What’s the real difference here? Can both the Cerbo and Venus connect to a head unit?

Now the head units, what is the difference between the Touch and Control other than the physical buttons? Both rely on a central hub, is one able to display or control more than the other?

I appreciate the clarification, just can’t seem to piece it all together.

The color control GX is a complete GX device.

This might help:

I didn't know any better at the time, so I was drawn to the display of the CCGX. Given that I use the VRM app/website 99% of the time with occasional VictronConnect app use, the cerbo or venus would have been a better choice for me.

The CerboGX is the latest model and has faster hardware inside I believe. In my case I think it was $20 more so I got the CerboGX.

Any phone, tablet or PC will easily take the place of the Victron screen so that is an easy place to save some $.

You guys are great, especially appreciate you not chuckling at the silly questions.

I literally just found a YouTube video that explains all. I like the ability to start with the Cerbo and add a display at a later time once you figured out how you will most often interact with the system.

Quick follow up, I assume that the new smart shunt will work well here and not require the full BMS.

Quick follow up, I assume that the new smart shunt will work well here and not require the full BMS.

I use the CerboGX with a SmartShunt no problem.

It’s obviously not a BMS but does a great job of monitoring and collecting voltage and current information.

The VRM or local app can graph that data if you like.

You guys are great, especially appreciate you not chuckling at the silly questions.

I literally just found a YouTube video that explains all. I like the ability to start with the Cerbo and add a display at a later time once you figured out how you will most often interact with the system.

Help the forum out... link the vid. :)

A smart shunt and a BMS are completely different things. If you're going lead-acid, you don't need a BMS. If you're going lithium, you absolutely, positively need a BMS.

The smart shut is just a battery monitor that counts current in and out of the battery and reports its state of charge.

A BMS monitors the CELLS of a Lithium battery and takes actions based on the performance of the individual cells.

Help the forum out... link the vid. :)

A smart shunt and a BMS are completely different things. If you're going lead-acid, you don't need a BMS. If you're going lithium, you absolutely, positively need a BMS.

The smart shut is just a battery monitor that counts current in and out of the battery and reports its state of charge.

A BMS monitors the CELLS of a Lithium battery and takes actions based on the performance of the individual
Terminology, still trying to get it figured out. Yes, BMS for the monitoring of the cells. I am going DIY lithium. What I meant to ask was is a battery monitor like the Victron BMv-712 required or can the smart shunt feed the Cerbo without the need for the display?

Here’s the link. Not a comparison of the various products per say but he does for through some of the new functionality. Looks like the site doesn’t allow shortened URLs. Just YouTube ‘Victron Cerbo’ and it’s the first hit, installing on a boat.

Smart shunt can connect to GX device via VE.Direct cable. I do not know if it has the same function as a 712, but it looks like it.

Since I didn't need bluetooth, but I needed temperature, I went with a 702.

Site should permit links. Not sure what's up.

Well, I thought I had everything figured out and accounted for but I’ve now stumbled on the Victron GX gear. Sheesh, is there anything they don’t sell?

I understand the concept, a central hub that your Victron components connect to and provides information as well as control from a central interface. That interface can be a Victron app or a dedicated screen. What I can’t piece together is what works with what and the differences between the hubs.

I read that the Venus is essentially the same as the Cerbo but has more ports for connectivity. Cost is basically the same, that I don’t understand. What’s the real difference here? Can both the Cerbo and Venus connect to a head unit?

Now the head units, what is the difference between the Touch and Control other than the physical buttons? Both rely on a central hub, is one able to display or control more than the other?

I appreciate the clarification, just can’t seem to piece it all together.

Avoid the CCGX as it's discontinued and was a mediocre product at best. The Venus is a headless controller, where the Cerbo is the latest and can use the little touchscreen, or work headless.

Victron has a doc on their site showing how many of each type of port each device has if you are worried about limits. Be aware that ve.direct devices take more CPU and some limitations specific to these devices so even if enough ports you may not be able to use them all.

If you are starting from scratch going with a solar controller with the ve.can bus is a better option then the old ve.direct models.

Smart shunt can connect to GX device via VE.Direct cable. I do not know if it has the same function as a 712, but it looks like it.

Since I didn't need bluetooth, but I needed temperature, I went with a 702.

Site should permit links. Not sure what's up.

Thanks for fixing.

I think the Cerbo comes with a couple of temperature ports as well.

According to the chart I linked, it has 4. Venus has 2. CCGX of course has none.... BUT it can read the temp sensor on the Quattro and the BMV-702 via VRM. My favorite is the smart battery sense because it's actually stuck to the side of the battery and providing direct temp and voltage to the MPPT via VE.Smart bluetooth network, BUT it's not accessible through VRM. When I connect to the MPPT via VictronConnect even through the GX, the MPPT does report the smart sense voltage and temp, but it does no logging.

Yes. I have 3 temperature sensors... :)

Avoid the CCGX as it's discontinued and was a mediocre product at best. The Venus is a headless controller, where the Cerbo is the latest and can use the little touchscreen, or work headless.

Victron has a doc on their site showing how many of each type of port each device has if you are worried about limits. Be aware that ve.direct devices take more CPU and some limitations specific to these devices so even if enough ports you may not be able to use them all.

If you are starting from scratch going with a solar controller with the ve.can bus is a better option then the old ve.direct models.

CCGX is a fine product, but the Cerbo and Venus trounce it.

I linked the doc you mentioned above.

Please cite a reference for your direct vs. CAN comments.

CCGX is a fine product, but the Cerbo and Venus trounce it.

I linked the doc you mentioned above.

The CCGX display doesn't last long in marine environments. We replace them regularly and many have been replaced multiple times. They are a sore spot with customers who spend a large amount on electrical systems to have the man/machine interface be so mediocre.

We have replaced several with Cerbo/Touch and those so far are working well, and no failures. Also the integrations in the latest firmware to 3rd party systems is very well received.

According to the chart I linked, it has 4. Venus has 2. CCGX of course has none.... BUT it can read the temp sensor on the Quattro and the BMV-702 via VRM. My favorite is the smart battery sense because it's actually stuck to the side of the battery and providing direct temp and voltage to the MPPT via VE.Smart bluetooth network, BUT it's not accessible through VRM. When I connect to the MPPT via VictronConnect even through the GX, the MPPT does report the smart sense voltage and temp, but it does no logging.

Yes. I have 3 temperature sensors... :)
Interesting, I like the smart battery sense but with lithium and a BMS seems redundant. I wonder if there’s a way to feed BMS info like charge and temp to the MPPT.

The battery temperature in my system is sent from the BMV-712 to the MPPT 100/50 through bluetooth. The BMV-712 picks up the temperature from it's shunt, which it in turn picks up the temperature from a probe that is wired to the shunt. The temperature probe is attached to the battery post.

Interesting, I like the smart battery sense but with lithium and a BMS seems redundant. I wonder if there’s a way to feed BMS info like charge and temp to the MPPT.

I originally bought the BMV-700, so I didn't have temp options, the GX wasn't installed yet, so the Quattro temp sensor couldn't do anything for me except on AC charging. I'm on FLA at the moment with huge temp swings daily, so I desperately needed temp sensing for the MPPT immediately. Smart sense was quickest and easiest.

You absolutely need temperature data flowing to the MPPT and inverter/charger if freezing temps are a possibility. There are some high-end BMS that can communicate with GX device via the CAN bus, but to my knowledge that's limited to Orion, Batrium and REC-BMS, but don't quote me on that.

The SmartSense should be able to pass temp to the GX/MPPT if it has a temp sensor attached.

I should really stop digging or the billing materials will never end! I like the smartsense but since I need a shunt anyway, will likely stick with the 712.
Now, another question; assuming the 712 can monitor multiple batteries, where do you recommend placement on a DIY set of batteries? I’m unsure at the moment but the leads odd the BMSs could be as long as 18” where they will join via bus before running about 5’ into my storage area where the rest of the electronics will live.

The shunt for the BMV-712 would be between your negative common bus bar and the battery bank. That's how I have mine.

The negative lead from each BMS is connected to the battery side of the shunt. Two leads into the shut, one lead out, with the output lead going to the negative common bus bar.

Back