diy solar

diy solar

Victron MPPT 150/60 settings for 24v system?

pda1

My 1kw 24v PV system became operational today. So far there have been no problems and I'm amazed how well the Victron controller works.

The mppt is charging two Battle Born 12v-100ah batteries in series making it a 24v 100ah system.

I don't know that exact settings that should be used on the Victron 150/60 controller but there are some "28.8v" figures that are set which I think was done by Battle Born (I bought it from them and a sticker on the box says, "programmed by kr" (or something similar). They knew what kind of system I was configuring.

That said.....do any of you have the settings that should be programmed into the MPPT?
Again, I'm using a Victron MPPT 150/60 which is charging 2 Battle Born 12v batteries IN SERIES making it a 24v system.

Thanks,

Peter

P.S. So far so good....no smoke.

Post a screenshot or two from VictronConnect of the Battery settings screen for your charge controller. But if BB already programmed it for you for their batteries then it likely doesn't need anything changed.

Unless you are taking advantage of relays or other connections then you probably don't need to change anything other than on the Battery settings. But if you do have other Victron components then you will want to enable the VE.Smart networking so the devices can chat and make each other happy.

I'm not sure why the "Equalization voltage" setting is enabled and set since that doesn't apply to LiFePO₄ batteries. In my copy of VictronConnect that setting is disabled. But that could be a difference between the iOS and Android versions of VictronConnect.

I would also expect the "Low temperature cut-off" setting to be enabled and set to a sane temperature. But that's best done if you have a temperature probe connected to your SCC or if you have a Victron shunt with a temp probe.

I'm not sure why the "Equalization voltage" setting is enabled and set since that doesn't apply to LiFePO₄ batteries. In my copy of VictronConnect that setting is disabled. But that could be a difference between the iOS and Android versions of VictronConnect.

I would also expect the "Low temperature cut-off" setting to be enabled and set to a sane temperature. But that's best done if you have a temperature probe connected to your SCC or if you have a Victron shunt with a temp probe.
I'll check the Equalization voltage....

Not concerned about Low temperature cut-off. The lowest temperature the batteries will experience is about 60° F.

I'll check the Equalization voltage
For me the equalization settings automatically became disabled simply by selecting LiFePO₄ as the battery type.

It doesn't have
It does. Tap the dropdown for battery preset. Select "Select preset". Then select LiFePO₄ from the list of presets. At least that's what I see in mine on iOS.

It does. Tap the dropdown for battery preset. Select "Select preset". Then select LiFePO₄ from the list of presets. At least that's what I see in mine on iOS.
I submitted that reply without correcting it.....just ignore.

What should be the Absorption Time for LiFePO batteries? The scc is set to 2h 0m (2 hours 0 minutes). Might that be too long? Don't know....

What should be the Absorption Time for LiFePO batteries? The scc is set to 2h 0m (2 hours 0 minutes). Might that be too long? Don't know....
A document I saw from BB in the past that states that the absorption time should be 30 minutes per battery. But I don't know if that means per battery in parallel or if it means per battery no matter what. I suggest you contact Battle Born and tell them you have 2 12V batteries in series and you wish to know the absorption time. Should it be 30 minutes or 1 hour? Post their answer when you get it.

Just found this on BB's site;

Charging Battle Born batteries

"For a 24V system, we suggest a bulk and absorption rate of 28.4V– 29.2V and float to 27.2V or lower. No equalization is required, but if it’s possible we suggest 28.8V. No temperature compensation is required either, and absorption time is approximately 20 minutes per battery if that is an option."

Ah, I see my mistake. Now the settings are for LiFePO4. I'll leave it that way for the night.....
That pretty much removes the programming by BB. Any changes to the LiFePO4 default settings will become "user defined" and you might lose the BB settings so take note of all the settings in case you want to return to BB settings.

Back