diy solar

diy solar

Victron mppt 75/15 bluetooth 0 amps 0 watts with lifepo4 12v battery. Help?

MartinBe

Hi,
I have the victron smartsolar mppt 75/15 bluetooth (brand new), a renogy 100w panel (brand new) and an eco-worth 12v lifepo4 battery (brand new).

I did plug everything in order and i did set the preset to lifepo4 mode.
I do not get current/amps.
I only see voltage of the PV and the voltage of the battery and no amps.
The pv show 20.45v and battery show absorb at 14.20v then after the 2 hours it show float at 13.50v
I did check every fuse and wire and everything is ok.
The battery show 12.94V with a multimeter, the solar panel wire show 21v, 2A (low sun) today.
When testing the PV on the victron screw with multimeter it show 1.9A
When connecting to the victron mppt the battery show 14.2v (absorb) and no amps.
Both solar panel and battery show 0 amps and 0W on the victron connect.
When plugged to the mppt it goes in bulk for like 2 seconds then to absorption then float after the 2h setting.
I also did test with different setting like 14.4 absorp and 13.8 float... and still same result. no amps at all.
I dont have load on and the mppt should be activated because I get 20v+ at solar and it is more than 5v over the battery stage.

What is wrong?
The battery have a bms inside is this brand not compatible with victron?

Hi,
I have the victron smartsolar mppt 75/15 bluetooth (brand new), a renogy 100w panel (brand new) and an eco-worth 12v lifepo4 battery (brand new).

I did plug everything in order and i did set the preset to lifepo4 mode.
I do not get current/amps.
I only see voltage of the PV and the voltage of the battery and no amps.
The pv show 20.45v and battery show absorb at 14.20v then after the 2 hours it show float at 13.50v
I did check every fuse and wire and everything is ok.
The battery show 12.94V with a multimeter, the solar panel wire show 21v, 2A (low sun) today.
When testing the PV on the victron screw with multimeter it show 1.9A
When connecting to the victron mppt the battery show 14.2v (absorb) and no amps.
Both solar panel and battery show 0 amps and 0W on the victron connect.
When plugged to the mppt it goes in bulk for like 2 seconds then to absorption then float after the 2h setting.
I also did test with different setting like 14.4 absorp and 13.8 float... and still same result. no amps at all.
I dont have load on and the mppt should be activated because I get 20v+ at solar and it is more than 5v over the battery stage.

What is wrong?
The battery have a bms inside is this brand not compatible with victron?

Have you tried a different charger?

Perhaps this thread can help:

I had a similar issue with Renogy batteries.
The batteries would show 13.1V and not take a charge.

The batteries were actually fully charged. The issue was the BMS disconnecting for high cell voltage.
I suspect one of the 4 cells was >3.65V therefore BMS went into a safe mode and shows a low voltage at the terminals.
The disconnect was sudden, typically causing a spike of >15V on the SCC, however you only see this in real time as the data is quickly averaged and the spike disappears.

Try running a reasonable load from the battery for a short while, in my case the voltage would actually go up after pulling a few amps as the BMS reconnected fully. E.g. after pulling 10A for a few minutes the voltage without load increased to 13.4V (normal)

After cycling the batteries a few times, issue was resolved.

I did try Decto solution and i have no success. Now the battery show 10.3v and still not have any amps from victron mppt. Both solar and battery show 0 amps. Is the battery dead?

I did try Decto solution and i have no success. Now the battery show 10.3v and still not have any amps from victron mppt. Both solar and battery show 0 amps. Is the battery dead?

It is depleted of charge for certain. Stop using it.

@Decto 's solution entailed charging it. By saying you tried their solution, that implies you charged the battery. Is this the case?

When troubleshooting components, it's very difficult to isolate issues without replacing components. It's hard to say which is at fault - a battery that refuses charge, or a Victron MPPT that is not providing current.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and running the MPPT with a small 12V load on the load ports to see if you can get power out of it?

It is depleted of charge for certain. Stop using it.

@Decto 's solution entailed charging it. By saying you tried their solution, that implies you charged the battery. Is this the case?

When troubleshooting components, it's very difficult to isolate issues without replacing components. It's hard to say which is at fault - a battery that refuses charge, or a Victron MPPT that is not providing current.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and running the MPPT with a small 12V load on the load ports to see if you can get power out of it?
It look like that the battery refuse to charge.

I did test the MC4 wires and there is voltage and amps.
I did test the PV in the victron mppt by using multimeter on the screw and there is voltage and amps
The problem is not about the panel or the wires

The battery show voltage and current
The wires from battery show voltage and current
Battery seem ok but it refuse to charge

The victron mppt apps see the voltage from panel but no amps and 0 watts
The battery voltage show on the apps but no current.
The voltage show but there is no amps but on the mppt screw I see the amps from panel as said before

For the load, If I connect wires and use a load it work but apps freak out after 3-4 seconds, bulk then absorb then off... you can loop this indefinitely.

I can let the battery connected on the mppt a full day but it wont charge. Full sun.

Do you have another battery you can connect in parallel with the Lifepo4 to test charging?

Even using the 12v battery from your car.

I did use a lifepo4 charger and still 0.0 amps going into the battery but there is voltage ?!%. I'll buy a new battery look like the BMS from this battery cut the current.

Wonder if it’s in a saftey mode now allowing a charge but will allow a discharge. But at least you isolated your problem is the battery.

Are you able to return the battery for warranty claim? If not I’d say open it up and you might be able to harvest the cells and a new BMS to get something going.

Wonder if it’s in a saftey mode now allowing a charge but will allow a discharge. But at least you isolated your problem is the battery.

Are you able to return the battery for warranty claim? If not I’d say open it up and you might be able to harvest the cells and a new BMS to get something going
I'm pretty new with battery, lifepo4 and bms. I find it strange that voltage goes in but no amps. That what I think the BMS is somehow in safety mode and wont let amps pass. Is something like a repair mode charger can help? like this one? https://amazon.com/Multifunctional-Maintainer-Automatic-Motorcycle-etc-yellow/dp/B08KGMSHW7

I have a new battery and the amps is showing and working correctly. The battery was the problem. I read that you can plug 2 batteries in parallel and the good one should wake up the old one. Is it a good thing to do? Do I have to plug a load also and how many time do I need to plug them?

FYI the old battery now show 12.80V with multimeter but when plugged to mppt it show 9.40v-9.49v, when plugged on charger it show the same. BMS look to be in safety mode. Good or bad idea that I parallel it to my other battery?

I have a new battery and the amps is showing and working correctly. The battery was the problem. I read that you can plug 2 batteries in parallel and the good one should wake up the old one. Is it a good thing to do? Do I have to plug a load also and how many time do I need to plug them?

You can try it, but the MPPT should have also woken it up as it was suppling voltage.

FYI the old battery now show 12.80V with multimeter but when plugged to mppt it show 9.40v-9.49v, when plugged on charger it show the same. BMS look to be in safety mode. Good or bad idea that I parallel it to my other battery?

Given that information, I would initiate the return process.

I did use a lifepo4 charger and still 0.0 amps going into the battery but there is voltage ?!%. I'll buy a new battery look like the BMS from this battery cut the current.
If you are using a digital multimeter, it is a VERY high impedance tester so you may see some stray voltage but you really need to test a load device with a load and then watch the voltage.

Common mistake when people use a DVOM(multimeter) on load circuits is you can be fooled with a voltage reading but its only supplying micro amps or less.

Back