diy solar

diy solar

Victron MPPT can handle panels in series and parallel?

harpo

Good at many things, master of none
Here is a quote on the Victron site
"In fact we can now put modules in series as well as parallel, which will also increase the input power and flexibility. Thanks to the output power or current limiter, the output power will never exceed the maximum of the controller. This Blue Solar MPPT feature is unique and makes the charge controller even more interesting!"

Ok, maybe I am a little "thick" on what they are really saying. Assuming a simple 12v battery system. If they are saying the charge controller can receive input from panels wired in a series and parallel as long as the incoming voltage is the same I understand.
However, if they are saying I can wire up, for instance, two 12 volt panels wire in series and then two 12 volt panels wired in parallel all coming into the same controller this is "news" to me and, actually, rather confusing. How could a controller handle inputs of two vastly different voltages and charge a 12 volt battery?

Here is a quote on the Victron site
"In fact we can now put modules in series as well as parallel, which will also increase the input power and flexibility. Thanks to the output power or current limiter, the output power will never exceed the maximum of the controller. This Blue Solar MPPT feature is unique and makes the charge controller even more interesting!"

From here?

They're just comparing to PWM here... probably very dated info. (EDIT: Dated 2014, so yeah).

Ok, maybe I am a little "thick" on what they are really saying. Assuming a simple 12v battery system. If they are saying the charge controller can receive input from panels wired in a series and parallel as long as the incoming voltage is the same I understand.

This.

However, if they are saying I can wire up, for instance, two 12 volt panels wire in series and then two 12 volt panels wired in parallel all coming into the same controller this is "news" to me and, actually, rather confusing. How could a controller handle inputs of two vastly different voltages and charge a 12 volt battery?

They are not. Parallel strings must be the same voltage. Panels in series must have the same current.

Maybe they are talking about this? This is from some Victron training material.

1668042432346.png

Last edited:
Can you please give the link to that Victron? Thanks.
i could not find the training material on the site, I only see "training tour' on Victronenergy.com

Back